Bad ebay seller warnings

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freq Band

GDIY Supporter
Sometimes ebay sellers are not good business people.
They do not return emails, ship stuff very slowly, and sometimes don't ship items at all.
There is little recourse that can be had regarding bad sellers, other than paypal / Visa protection (refund). But by that time, your time has been wasted, and the grief cannot be refunded.

This post is not to slander unnecessarily, but to warn other forum members about sellers that they may have had trouble with, when buying DIY related electronics, and musical gear.

These are MY experiences with these sellers, , yours may be different.
Use your best judgment.

"tubeamparts" (seller)
does not return my emails, have not received item yet - 23 days.
They do NOT mention this in their listings, but many of their items are shipped from Hong Kong.

"danthew81"Store: "Covenant Surplus"
never received item, no refund, no return emails, I called and he said he would send refund (money order) but never did. Dispute opened. No reply from seller. Dispute closed.

=FB=

Not a bad seller per se, but who's that guy who sells old electronics books with hyped-up descriptions (while not disclosing the actual titles)? Every old text that shows an amplifier schematic or two becomes an "amazing rare audio engineering book" or words to that effect.

Mike States, to be exact. In Alaska. You might win a stack of old mags, and find that there are three identical copies in the stack too.

Ebay seller:

rthrbsrfinoc

Has been selling Altec 9470-A and 9475-A preamps as 'untested' lately.

I tested four of them purchased by a client; three proved to be bad. He took them as returns and exchanged for three that proved to be good.

Then he re-sold the bad ones, again as 'untested, unused for years'.

EDIT, seller made good, see below...

I'll add another one.

quickarelectronics (seller)

I sent a money order 1 day after winning the items , and it came back as "undeliverable" three weeks later.
I emailed and called Quickar Electronics (no phone answer) asking for a proper address, and I received this reply:
Gee...I am so sorry...that is not the correct address....that is why it
was
returned...however...our auction stated that we did not accept money
orders...and since we never received your payment on time...we sold the
rest
of those 2N3810 TRANSISTORS....sorry the auction clearly stated that if

payment was not received in a timely manner, we have the legal right to
sell
to someone else....sorry....keep the money order and get a refund...I
have
no more 2N3810 tranisitors left....sorry

Mark Hannah
Quickar Electronics, Inc.
Buying and Selling Electronic Components
Over 1 Million Customers Served Since 1995

Their listing gives an old address, and it also states that money orders are OK. :twisted:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/Midiot/quickar_capture.jpg

This was my reply, and I might be... too forgiving:

Mark,
Actually, you auction states you DO accept Money
Orders or Cashiers checks:

"SORRY
NO STANDARD CHECKS ; MONEY ORDERS OR CASHIERS CHECKS
ARE OK; SEE BELOW FOR ADDRESS TO MAIL YOUR PAYMENT
TO."

I'm willing to leave positive feedback as "Post Office
lost mail, no hard feelings"
...although that wouldn't be the truth, since I was
following your listing's instructions, and you posted
an incorrect/outdated address, hence that is the
reason the payment I sent in good faith, never
arrived.

Let's call it a wash, and leave good feedback.
Agreed?

EDIT, got this reply:
Wow Randy..

Good News

I did have em all bagged up and waiting for you

Send your money order to

Quickar Electronics
PO Box 3049
Bay City, Oregon 97107-3049

sorry for all the mistakes in my auctions

I got divorced a year ago, and my mind isnt the same ( yet)

Thanks for being soo cool !

Totally Cool !
Mark Hannah

=FB=

Marcus Macciacchera, Toronto (still?)
aka dj...
seems to have new ebay name(?)

Shipped a warez copy of Sonar (4) to me. I got most of my money back via paypal fortunately, invoiced me in GBP...

Kind regards,

Martin

I have heard (and read) bad feedback for the Hongkongsuperseller in terms of counterfeit components.

Apparently there are a batch of fake CEM3372's about at the moment also.

Hongkongsuperseller got to me too. He sent me a dozen chickenhead knobs that were the wrong size & would not fit the size shaft he advertized. I returned them per his instructions & he kept my money & never replaced the knobs with the ones he advertized. I filed a dispute with ebay and paypal & they do nothing.....nothing except keep my money! I am still screwed out of my money & have no knobs to show for it. Harry Hu, Hongkong superseller, The Parts Pipe, he goes by many ebay names & sells junk & is a liar and a thief... ebay buyers beware & avoid this rip off artist!

We'll see if paypal helps me with the guy who , is no longer
registared after he gets my money ! anybody have experience with that ?

I have had mixed results from HKSS - got several thousand fantastically bright leds from him but 5% of them did not go. My real annoyance however goes out to US sellers who refuse to ship beyond US/Canada or rig it in such a way that it is effectively impossible by (a) Insisting on a verified Paypal address [not possible in my country]-or- (b) Refusing to ship USPS [USPS may have skyrocketed recently but it is still way cheaper than Fedex/DHL/UPS). No other country seems to have such xenophobic vendors. For a truly awful trading experience however, it is hard to beat Hong Kong Inventory - all vendors insist in TT or Western Union, which costs a bomb, and ICs purchased may or may not contain any silicon!.
M

Back