VCA-based Guitar volume pedal - What VCA chip?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pj geerlings

I did a quick search and couldn't find an answer for this one...

I would like to build a Stereo Volume Pedal for the final output of my guitar pedal board. I would appreciate some recommendations for the best-bang-for-the-buck VCA chip to use...

Actually it desn't have to be "cheap" - it is more important that it be "right" for the job.

TIA,
pj

There aren't too many manufacturer choices...

So basically you're talking about THAT vcas.

And I think their 2-VCA IC is still in the preliminary stage, so maybe a pair of 2180's or 2181's.

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]There aren't too many manufacturer choices...

So basically you're talking about THAT vcas.

And I think their 2-VCA IC is still in the preliminary stage, so maybe a pair of 2180's or 2181's.

Keith[/quote]
Thanks!

A pair of 2180s looks pretty good to me (mostly 'cause they are pre-trimmed)

-pj

For a somewhat cheaper alternative to THAT chips, have a look at the Analog Devices SSM2164 quad VCA:

Datasheet

They're $5.86 at Digikey, as opposed to $5.46 for a singleton of the cheapest THAT 2180. If cost isn't a big issue, I'd still go with the THAT chips.

[quote author="McCroskey42"]For a somewhat cheaper alternative to THAT chips, have a look at the Analog Devices SSM2164 quad VCA:

Datasheet

They're $5.86 at Digikey, as opposed to $5.46 for a singleton of the cheapest THAT 2180. If cost isn't a big issue, I'd still go with the THAT chips.[/quote]

I was expecting the price of these things to be $20-$30 dollars each so the THAT part is looking real good ;)

peace,
pj

Better go discrete.
Learn something.
Build the old gold or black rectangular canned VCA that is an option on the DIY board.
Then when you hear all the noise and distortion that Jerry Garcia loved, switch back to the real banana.

Don't buy any from friends, I bought some from this Scenaria dude, found out they were bad pulls from a Keef SSL swap out, built a compressor for a guy in Stitchcock (ouch!), Germany, Sting goes in to the studio to record a song about a dolphin humping a whale, and the stinkin VCA does a reverse vector orthoganal switchout, sting freaks out, storms out of the studio with his schlong hangin out, because thats the way sting works, session canceled, check canceled, and guess who is takin the hit?
I hate you Sting!

Jeez, do they have to make this stuff so pure?
:shock:

Back