API 500 Rack Compatible 1176

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryson

I've been thinking for a while about making an 1176 in a 500 rack format. I just found out that Purple Audio has come out with one, though it is without the o/p xfrmr.

I've also been drawing up a GSSL to fit two 500 rack spaces.

Anyone else here on that same wavelength?

[quote author="peterc"]I have also been thinking about this. Does the Purple unit have an input transformer?

Peter[/quote]

yes

[quote author="Bryson"]I've been thinking for a while about making an 1176 in a 500 rack format. I just found out that Purple Audio has come out with one, though it is without the o/p xfrmr[/quote]

from the purple audio website "The Action uses our custom output transformer which provides two isolated outputs (when supported by the chassis)."

I will be buying at least two of these if they sound like they should! Of course, If there is a board and faceplate available for a similar DIY I'd be all over that too!

for comparison's sake:

mc77

constant impedance input attenuator
utc o-12 reproduction transformer
FET gain reduction w/ 1176 sidechain
discrete single ended gain stages
proprietary steel output transformer

action

constant impedance input attenuator
utc o-12 reproduction transformer
FET gain reduction w/ 1176 sidechain
discrete purple opamps
dual output transformer as used in biz and super8

Ed, -Just a quick FYI:

"Pants" in the UK means "crap".

In case you don't get many sales from Britain, it might be like trying to sell a chevy "No-Va" in South America! :wink:

Keith

yeah, i'm aware that some of the names don't have only positive connotations for people in every culture. all of the names are words andrew peppers his conversation with, with no meaning relating to what other people think, on this continent or any other.

ed

[quote author="Bryson"]
[/quote]

I believe someone else is already working on that one, but don't let that discourage you. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

[quote author="Denyle Guitars"][quote author="Bryson"]
[/quote]

I believe someone else is already working on that one ...[/quote]

who what when where how?????

If someone else is mapping it, all the better (than my sledge hammer and chisel work).

I'm just working on dividing up the pc board into two, to fit the two edge connectors, and maybe provisions for xfrmrs.

[quote author="edanderson"]yeah, i'm aware that some of the names don't have only positive connotations for people in every culture. all of the names are words andrew peppers his conversation with, with no meaning relating to what other people think, on this continent or any other.

ed[/quote]

Yeah yeah so thats what happens down at Purple...

[Andrew]
Do my PANTS look ODD?

[Ed]
No, not at all - they're the BIZ!

[Andrew]
You want some ACTION big boy?

[Ed]
CAN it you fool!

Hmmm :thumb:
No offence intended.

-Tom

I've also been thinking about this. The G1176 PCB's should fit within the 500 sizing, would require an extra pcb with the edge pins with wire connection to the main board, haven't fully looked into this yet though. What about the Mnats 1176 board, anyone know the sizing of the PCB?

Michael

If he weren't busy with other thing Peter Purpose
would be the man for this , proven producer
[ you're the Man  , Peter ]
perhaps in conjunction with mnats

Latest posts

Back