Jung Super Buffer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
>> I use 2N4401 and 2N4403's. Cheap and cheerful.

> ...and VERY low noise! Even more so than "low noise" types.

Low noise in low-impedance circuits.

And many audio circuits are low-Z enough to use 2N440x.

When you really have a hi-Z circuit, like the wiper of a 1Meg volume pot, the smaller high-Beta transistors will give slightly lower noise. Most of thos "lo-noise" parts got the designation 30 years ago, when hi-Z circuits were a real problem for transistors. AFAICT, around 1K there was never much of a problem, not after we got clean Silicon in the late 1960s.

Phono cartridges (moving magnet) are sorta in-between. They are under 1K over much of the audio band, but will peak up to 3K to 30K at the top of the band. Good phono preamps have been built with both types of devices. Same seems to be true for guitar inputs and mike-transformer inputs.

There seems to have been a lot of concern about the small surface mount parts. I took another look at the pcb last night and it could be reworked to use all through-hole parts by standing the resistors on end. I'll make up a revised pcb and see how it looks.

regards, Jack

[quote author="AMZ-FX"]There seems to have been a lot of concern about the small surface mount parts. I took another look at the pcb last night and it could be reworked to use all through-hole parts by standing the resistors on end.  I'll make up a revised pcb and see how it looks.

regards, Jack[/quote]
It's pretty easy to get a holemouted diamond buffer to work. Have you checked my holemounted one in my headphone amp?

Diamond buffer in a headphone amp

It has gone a couple of years and now I have made a pcb which is almost half the size since I have parts on both sides and use a 4-layer board.

ssb01r0_overview.jpg

The picture below shows the pattern on the "solder side".

ssb01r0.jpg

Latest posts

Back