monitors switch between power and monitors??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12afael

a friend of mine ask me about a switch to test some monitors, he want to switch them while he is listening the mix. he have passive monitors and just one power amp. I know is not so easy like just a switch. a power amp without load is not a good idea and I suspect is not healthy for the monitors too.

I`ve trying to find information of an existent design without luck. I just find a guitar cabinet switch which use a complex circuit to keep the load constant while you change the cabinet (not cheap).

some one have an ideas or thoughts?

Rafael

a normal switch shouldnt be a problem - as long as the power amp is solid state, not tube.

(for a tube amp a "make-before-break", shorting switch might be ok)

There are many different speaker switchers available. Do a search. Or make your won with a heavy-duty rotary switch. The only down-side is that the volumes are different between sets. Seperate amp-speaker chains can be volume matched.
Mike

is safe to switch monitors at full power? I`m thinking on the inductors of the crossover net and the speaker coil.

Rafael

Hmmf... FAR from ideal!

The reactive loads should be able to leak away however, but it's really not a good way to do it. Buy a second amp and do it right! :wink:

Or make a switch system which also briefly mutes the line-level signal also...

Keith

I thought about using a mute control but unfortunately this power amp doesn`t have a mute control.

thanks for the help.
Rafael

Back