recapping my console, bigger caps?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baltimore

I'm about to recap all the power supply caps in my auditronics. It has 10uf tants for power supply decoupling. Should I up the value of these..something like 100uf lytics? They should easily fit the board. Or should I stick with 10uf lytics?

Kevin

To be safe, we need to know how many cards you intend to replace the caps on.

If it's only a handful, I can't see a problem. However, if your PSU is slightly underrated or has sensitive over-current sensing or suchlike, you could have a problem when replacing more than a handful of caps.

If you increase the size of a whole load of caps, it can appear to the main PSU as if it's a direct short... There's also the issue I discovered when I fitted massive caps, whereby the inrush current / inductance from the caps charging is so large that it blows your rectifier diodes across the room...bit of a fire risk! It won't necessarily happen immediately either, so it could happen when you least expect it, i.e. a burning diode could land on the skirt of the lead singer - major bummer!

I am being conservative btw, but it pays to be careful.

Justin

It is a 26 channel frame but only loaded with 16 channels right now, but I will add channels as I find them. There are 13 10uf tants per channel, but it looks like 6 are for power supply decoupling - 2 per routing module and 4 per channel, Plus a bunch for all the master section. The rest are in the signal path and I will probably bump those up to a higher value.

Kevin

[quote author="Baltimore"]It is a 26 channel frame but only loaded with 16 channels right now, but I will add channels as I find them. There are 13 10uf tants per channel, but it looks like 6 are for power supply decoupling - 2 per routing module and 4 per channel, Plus a bunch for all the master section. The rest are in the signal path and I will probably bump those up to a higher value.

Kevin[/quote]

6 caps x 90u (extra) x 16 channels = 8,640u of extra capacitance for your PSU to charge on start-up...

Does it have a soft-start circuit? I'd advise caution if not...

Justin

Decoupling caps shouldn't be unecessarily large. Larger electrolytics have internal series resistance and inductance. Because of this they aren't as good a bypass at higher frequencies and can affect stability of the gain stage. Unless you are driving low impedance loads there really isn't any benefit to be gained.

Back