New Alice mics - w sound file

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor-TK

I finished up a pair of alice mics with a new layout tailored to fit my body design. The body design goal was to have a pull out unibody inside the exterior body (much like what is seen on a larger mic). Thanks go to to Scodiddy for the original design.

twins.jpg

twins2.jpg

I liked the pre-Apollo NASA look I got from the gray primer, so I kept it

halfdone.jpg

Hard to see, but the connections to the FET gate are floated in the air and wrapped in PTFE tubing.

back.jpg

mount.jpg

alicelayout.jpg

How do they sound? I really like them, but not in a traditional way. These aren't the normal type of mic that most folks would shoot for in a design. I'd compare them to a really awesome 60's Japanese flea market guitar, rather than to a '59 Les Paul. Vibe and color for days, with just a little bit of sweet distortion thrown in.

I hated them on drum overheads, loved them on electric guitar (clean and dirty) and voice, and liked them on bass. Here is a quick recording that I threw together using them. Everything on the song was miced with the alice except the kick and snare. I like the dirty indy vibe I got. BTW, I didn't write the song, it's a local fave to cover, written by Ween's bassist.

The Enabler

BTW, I originally ordered parts to build 4 mics and have leftovers that I'd be willing to sell. It's a partial kit for two mics that includes:

Brass body tubing
most resistors
transistors
diodes
brass mesh
copper cups to form brass mesh
film caps
electrolytic caps
brass rod for capsule mount

Not included:
no capsules
no 1G resistors
no XLR jacks
no brass ring for XLR mounting (I made it with a hole saw and step drill bit) or copper ring for capsule mount (water pipe)
no screws, rod, perf board, epoxy
The brass tubing is a little short to make two mics unless you scale down a bit. 1/8w resistors would help do this, as would shortening the back side capsule vents.

I'll sell it for $30 plus shipping. The brass screen alone cost me over $20, and the body tubing was about the same.

man ETK those are real beauties!
i wish i didn't have so many bills and group buys going right now because i'd be all over it! great job and someone should buy them mic bodies!
-grant

Thanks Grant for the nice words. Just to be clear, I'm not selling finished bodies, but I am including the raw brass tubing with the other parts. I'm just trying to rid my drawers of clutter that can be useful to someone else.

ChrioN: I bought the capsules two years ago and don't remember exactly where, but I think that there is still a small dealer that is still stocking various models of transound capsules. Probably shouldn't be too hard to find.

-Chris

thanks for the clarification ETK.
those mic kits would still be a good deal even with raw brass bodies. nice paint job on them and cool logo. how did you do the logos?
oh and thanks for the layout too. makes things easier when i finally have some time to build them. i really liked the recording too (ah WEEN), impressive when you think that most everything was recorded on the same mic circuit.

ChrioN,
i think you can still get the capsules at JLI electronics. Their webpage doesn't link to the transsound page, but try this link: http://www.transsound.net/
regards,
grant

:shock: Wow, those mics look really,really cool ! :thumb:

What capsule and fet did you use ?

I've got a couple of TSB-165A capsules lying around.

Thank's for the pics, soundclip and layout.

Edit: :!: I'm interrested in buying your stuff if it's still left...

Capsules are the TSB-165A. I forgot off the top of my head what the FETs were, but it wasn't 2N4416. I'll have to check when I get home. The logos were laser engraved aluminum and cut up with my industrial paper cutter, then hammered into shape and glued to the body with epoxy.

Magnus, check your PM's.

Very cool! And it's interesting to see your comments on the sound, since this mic seems to get a much different opinion from everybody who tries one.

EDIT: What I meant was, "everybody has a different opinion from everybody else".

Back