Sony MXP 3036 Channel Strip (racked)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owel

Just want to share my latest creation.

labelfinal.jpg

It sound so quiet! I like it. Gain up to 65dB. Certainly much better than my Mackie VLZ mixer. But I still like to think my Neves are better (because they're discrete and I spent more $$$ on the Neves! :)

The Sony mic pre uses Jensen input transformers and NE5534, and I added output transformer taken from an MCI416 console (according to buttachunk). The EQ module uses NE5532 and TL072 IC chips.

I measure a max output voltage of +18.5 dBu. Not bad at all.

[quote author="rafafredd"]beaultiful work!

Do you have some sony schems to share? This EQ looks nice![/quote]

Thanks. I may be able to reverse engineer the mic pre... the EQ will be difficult to reverse engineer though... double sided PCB, and really dense layout.

I sent an inquiry to one guy selling the manual for the mixer... asking him if schematics are in the manual. We'll see...

Looks awesome. Did you have to chop it up for racking? I like the idea of racking just the EQ. Have any notes together? Sounds like a very nice project.

[quote author="MikoKensington"]Looks awesome. Did you have to chop it up for racking? I like the idea of racking just the EQ. Have any notes together? Sounds like a very nice project.[/quote]

No I didnt chop it up... the EQ and preamp modules are separate.

Notes?

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"]Wow, Owel! That looks great! Nice job!
Do you have any inside pics to share?

Peace!
Charlie[/quote]

Thanks! Here you go...

finaltopview.jpg

Wonder if the preamp is based on the Jensen data sheet schematic?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/mnats/Je-115k_pre.gif

[quote author="mnats"]Wonder if the preamp is based on the Jensen data sheet schematic?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/mnats/Je-115k_pre.gif[/quote]

I started reverse engineering the mic pre last night... and though I drew my layout differently, it is about the same as that schematic mnats posted! Wow.

There is no Ferrite Bead on the output though, just caps. It's using the same JE-115K transformer too!

JensenTX.jpg

My only complaint about it is I think it sounds differently whether the pad is engaged or not... for me, it sounds better with the pad engaged.

hi there,

i have a Sony(MCI) MXP2000 which I use a sub-mixer from our SSL E-series. I have schematics for this, and it sounds like the mic-amp is very similar to mine. The eq on the MXP2000 is very simple HF at 10k, LF at 80Hz and swept mid 150-5kHz. Sounds AMAZING I am totally in love . . . and only 350 quid on EvilBay! Savage, Savage compressors, perhaps everything needs lining up(?) might these schematics be of any use to you, If i can find away of capturing them? Can't quite get the hang of this new-fangled inter-web thingy, ho Hum!

Hope to be of help,

Andy Parker

Latest posts

Back