AMEK M2500 with transformerbalanced Preamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks a lot for this private lesson. I definitely owe you a :guinness:
But be prepared that I´m going to ask a lot more questions as I´m moving forward with this project :grin:

:thumb:

Jens, Please post pictures of Channel PCB boards out of the console so we can see what is going on here in more detail ( sowter section and 5532 sockets pre section, EQ etc. , especially the power supply area where the mod needs to be done - thanks.

I'm a Amek console owner so I'm very interested in this discussion.
my console is partially based on the 2500 ( Angela blue version )

[quote author="maxwall"]Jens, Please post pictures of Channel PCB boards out of the console so we can see what is going on here in more detail ( sowter section and 5532 sockets pre section, EQ etc. , especially the power supply area where the mod needs to be done - thanks.

I'm a Amek console owner so I'm very interested in this discussion.
my console is partially based on the 2500 ( Angela blue version )[/quote]

I will do that. Monday I´ll be back at work to take some more pictures, no wait, I have a channelstrip here. Back in a few moments....

btw, Keith, I couldn´t find a dateststamp on the faders. Maybe they are on the PCB side of the faders where it´s not possible to look at. It will take a while ´til I find time to remove a fader. I´ll take more pictures later with fader details, too...

here´s some detail pictures of the mono channel:
http://www.twin-x.com/groupdiy/thumbnails.php?album=212

the first channelstrip which I pulled had already lots of obvious faults: a blown IC on the VCA card, cold solderjoints, and at the line-pot a loose wire. There´s a lot of fun to be expected... :roll:

I made a drawing of the transformerbalanced preamp. Maybe its of interest for someone:

normal_Amek_M2500_Preampt.jpg

The opamp is a Signetics NE5534AN, btw

Thanks for posting that drawing Jens. I think this post has opened up more info on the Amek 2500 than anything I have seen yet. I have'nt come accross a lot of info on the web for this console. If you know of a site , please post links. I would like to read up on the backround info.

Also , I have emailed Graham Langley a couple of times. He's very helpful and kind with all sorts of information about those consoles he designed. He will even suggest mods of various kinds.

I heard thos pre's sound good. Unfortunately, my Angela is all solid state , no iron. But I would like to mod my master outputs with iron to get a more iron like sound. No room to mod channel strips there too compact, no room. Although, I guess I could attach a couple of LA2A on the end of my master channels in the console and acheive the same result.

Would love to find someone here on the forum with a Angela technical manual. There is some available in the UK $80 US DOLLAR + SHIPPING.
I think I'll wait a while.

That looks similar to the Sony MXP-3036 preamp module.. But it's a Jensen tranformer followed by an NE5534 chip.

... but I think the Sony is almost exactly like this, except it uses a pot instead of a switch for gain selector.

http://jensen-transformers.com/as/as017.pdf

I wonder if anyone in Nottingham in the UK has any info to help you guys as there was a AMEK Mozart at a certain studio in the city centre a few years ago.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Adam,Nag, Guy, sheri !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back