Neve 1073/1084 switches - shorting or non-shorting?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River

Anyone know for sure? I assume that they're non-shorting, but it would be nice to have that verified.

Thanks,

Tim

I had assumed that they were non-shorting partly because they have the 4.7M resistors between each position, which I thought were likely to eliminate those pops.

Still, I don't know for sure.

Look in the manual, my thinking is there not shorting also because of the 4.7M resistors.

I'm looking into a group buy for switches etc but need a little help sorting it all out and these are the questions I'm looking at and for so that we get the right stuff.

The post is in the Lab.

Kevin

In most cases you'd want to use a shorting switch for stepped attenuators, BUT... (here it comes):
When I compared a shorting vs a non-shorting switch for my 1290 project, I found that using a non-shorting only causes very soft clicks when you switch the 5 dB steps.

I also found that the shorting switch caused a significant CLICK when the second pre stage switches in (at 55dB). The non-shorting switch didn't do this. Neve put in an "OFF" position between 50 and 55 dB, and I think perhaps they might have done this to remedy this click and have the best of both worlds.

Because I'm using a PCB mount, 12 position rotary, I didn't want to waste precious switch real estate on an off position so I went with the non-shorting Grayhill 71BDF30-03-1-AJN without any remorse.
:thumb:
M.

are frequency selector switches usually shorting or non shorting?
and do they pop and click if one uses non shorting?

Latest posts

Back