thinking o fdoing some 1073's. Canadian group buy?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluzzi

I'm just looking for now but as I'm almost finished my 1290 project I was thinking of doing 1073 next (never ends does it?).

I like the way madriaanse's EZ-1290 board was done on 1 single board. So...

I am looking at Chris Vallejo's version at http://www.linear-recording.com.au/neve2.htm

Its all on 1 board. There is also a switch board that I don't fully grasp yet as it has a few extra things on the switch wiring. I've asked Chris some questions and hopefully he'll clarify my confusion. I haven't gone over the main board yet but Chris did an outstanding job! Check out his studio if you want to drool!

audioforge has done an amazing job on his 1073/1084 boards for those that prefer separate boards. The transformers and inductors are now available from Audiomaintenance. Kazper is looking at finding concentric switches.
The time is ripe for making these!

Any other fellow Canadians (U.S. is welcome too but customs duty is what gets in the way here) want to make some? Maybe group buys for transformers and inductors? Maybe even the switches and faceplates. Also maybe JLM power supply? PCB?

We wouldn't save that much but if its all the above it may be substantial.

Anyone else planning some 1073s for the new year?

jim

I'm in on audioforges boards but anything else related that helps
me get it together , i'm in !

you are a brave Canadian !

Neui - now we are 2.

Greg! Love to have you on board!

I almost went for Audioforge's boards but right now I don't have the $ and I have LA2A (p2p), 2 GSSL, 2 MP-2 (those are your fault!), and 2 EZ1290 (madriaanse's fault) to complete.

But I found the EZ1290 well...so eeeezzzzzyyy that it gives me confidence for a 1073.

If I can get this off the ground then I can also contribute a bit here. This project is more mechanical than electronics at this point as the circuits are already done. Its just a matter of combination as madriaanse did on his 1290 version.

I originally asked him but he is busy and lets face it he is teh inspiration for this lets EZ1073? If I can use that with his permission.

This is very much at the idea stage for now. I don't want to commit yet but I'm pumped to do it.

now since there is already a sort of 1 board 1073 out there it may not. I'm just waiting to confirm some things before I make a final decision.

Also I want to see how many others are on for the ride.

jim

I think I could get a few others on board. I've been meaning to get a DIY meet together with some fellow DIY'ers in Montreal.

This could be a great project to work on!

-arlen

great! I just spoke with Elma and they are sendiing me a sample PCB mount for me to try out.

This will be for the gain switch. I'll have to design a special PCB for it and I may need some help. If anyone in Montreal has PCB design experience let me know.

jim

[quote author="Bluzzi"]Neui - now we are 2.

If I can get this off the ground then I can also contribute a bit here. This project is more mechanical than electronics at this point as the circuits are already done. Its just a matter of combination as madriaanse did on his 1290 version.

I originally asked him but he is busy and lets face it he is teh inspiration for this lets EZ1073? If I can use that with his permission.

This is very much at the idea stage for now. I don't want to commit yet but I'm pumped to do it.

now since there is already a sort of 1 board 1073 out there it may not. I'm just waiting to confirm some things before I make a final decision.

Also I want to see how many others are on for the ride.

jim[/quote]

Jim, i'm in the US

(and call me crazy, but i've never paid a single penny in duties for stuff i've ordered internationally.......really)

but i'd be in, for as many as 8 depending on cost.

the EZ1073 would be easier than the guy you referenced.

(any thoughts of going crazy and going EZ1084? not much harder)

1) He did only single sided boards, probably etching himself.
Double sided makes life a lot easier
2) He didn't put the switches on the main board, which would make it
easier
3) Since the EZ1073 is the EQ only the board would be much easier than
his.

Technically you might call it the EZ2074 which is the Line in EQ only equivalent to the 1073 EQ

I don't know who is easier, cheaper or the best, but i've been using PCB123 to dabble in a Quad8 Eq project and the software is easy enough to figure out, and at quantities of 16+ the boards get pretty reasonable for 2 sided, solder masked, and screen printed
( .062 thick board w/1oz or 2.5 oz solder )

i have 4 unstuffed ez1290 pcbs in my drawer that are laughing at me so i'll have to hold off on this project....but i haven't bought the carnhill transformers for them so depending on what you decide for this project...if the price is right i'd be interested in some iron.

and bluzzi...im in the process of learning about pcb stuff...in the next week or two a friend and i are gonna be etching some pcbs for pedals as our first attempt...using other peoples layouts. im planning on dipping into the design stuff in a little bit tooo.

a montreal diy meeting would be totally fun...keep me in the looop.

-tyler

Gwaggin390 - first let me decide if its worth doing all this (so far it looks like I will go forward with it).

Chris has already done it and there is nothing wrong with single sided PCB. Isn't original that?

Now I am looking at PCB to combine EQ sections, PCB for the switches and a PCBs for the gain switch. That hasn't been done before and its 3 PCBs, 2 of which have to be inserted in the switch itself!

The aim here is to further madriaanse's EZ1290 into a EZ1073. I would also like to adapt his 12 way switch to a 22 step as in original but not mandatory.

hmmm...1084...I knew someone would bring this up. I think it takes an extra switch for the HF and there is a Low Pass filter section. Lets say that for now I want to just see if 1073 would be viable. Once that happens then please ask me again.

Don't forget that audioforge has boards if you really want to make a 1073 or 1084 and are in a hurry.

jim

[quote author="Bluzzi"]Gwaggin390 - first let me decide if its worth doing all this (so far it looks like I will go forward with it).

Chris has already done it and there is nothing wrong with single sided PCB. Isn't original that?

Now I am looking at PCB to combine EQ sections, PCB for the switches and a PCBs for the gain switch. That hasn't been done before and its 3 PCBs, 2 of which have to be inserted in the switch itself!

The aim here is to further madriaanse's EZ1290 into a EZ1073. I would also like to adapt his 12 way switch to a 22 step as in original but not mandatory.

hmmm...1084...I knew someone would bring this up. I think it takes an extra switch for the HF and there is a Low Pass filter section. Lets say that for now I want to just see if 1073 would be viable. Once that happens then please ask me again.

Don't forget that audioforge has boards if you really want to make a 1073 or 1084 and are in a hurry.

jim[/quote]

Jim,
the 1084 was just an idea, i would also preceed step by step.

Honestly, from my viewpoint, the smartest thing would be to use horizontal PC mount rotary switches, like Martin did. Elma makes them, Greyhill makes them. Greyhill actually makes concentric switches but i don't think they make them with pots(10k for example) in/on them
You can make one board, with one board cost and the least wiring as possible.

If you notice, Martin used the original board design, but his are double sided because it makes it so much easier, effective and ergonomic to "make things happen" the right way and avoiding long wasteful traces.

If the design is one board, and not too big, it might only cost $25 in quantities of 25+

Gwaggin390 -

madriaanse is genius! :grin: and I'm only a mere mortal though. I guess I'm not concerned with space. But when we get there I'll probably ask for help if the board gets in the way.

I guess I'm doing this because I've on it all day without doing any work.

The concentric switches are last on my list as there is already someone working on them.

But I think I found a way to make the gain switch pcb mount and that will make anyone's life easier for making a 1073, 1290 or 1084 for that matter.
It would be an add on to the EZ1290.

jim

Bluzzi just in case i might know i place to make the PCB at a better price!
a place where i worked!

cheers.

thanks for the info trinity.

We have to talk soon. I think you gave me your number in private message. If so can I call you tomorrow?

Your help is appreciated. hope all is great with you.

jim

Question: If the resistors for the Gain Switch are located on a circuit board maybe lets say max 4 inches away from switch, will that degrade audio quality or induce any hum?

Just playing around with some ideas and I am not sure if that would hurt audio wise. I'd never sacrifice that quality over ease of assembly.

just need your thoughts on this.

jim

Hi Jim,
i'm no expert, but i think you would want them as close to the switch as possible. You'll notice they are on most stepped attenuators and switches,
not usually "in the wiring" somewhere (like you might see in a tube amp)

You can get weird hard to trace oscillations when you run parts and traces
all around. It's not high voltage, so it certainly varies. but......
Space and placement do matter, thats why i would recommend dual layer with horizontal PC mounted pots/switches. If you are not good at PCB stuff, (are you drawing freehand on paper?)
the freeware out there is very easy to use.

I could rough something out in PCB123 if i knew switch parameters,
(pin width, pin spacing) and someone decoded the decks and poles for me.

Gwaggin390 - I don't want to take any chances and possibly mess with audio quality. Its just if I use a pcb for the gain switch and put the resistors on the pcb it increases the size.

Elma does not make a horizontal mount and I don't think anyone makes a 22 pin horizontal mount with 3 gangs. The pins would be spread out over 2 inches. If you know of one let me know.

The gain switch is on dwg EK20033. Each gang would have to be done seperatly as that is the only way to do it with an Elma. You have to di-assemble the Elma and insert the pcb into the pins then re-assemble it. The last gang has the pins sticking out freely so you do not need to do that.
I'm going out tonight but I'll try to hand draw out what the pcb could be. a and C are easy. Any interconnect between sections could be done with a bare jumper wire passing through to the other section.

Thing is is this going to be easier to assemble as opposed to soldering the resistors to the Elma directly? I'll know more when I get my sample in.

I've made one switch like this for the Great River MP-2 and it takes some time to do it right. This ine has 3 gangs (although not all pins are used).

As far as the other switches someone else is looking into finding concentric ones with pots built in like on a real 1073. If we cannot get those will anyone object to using Lorlins? If they are pin compatible with Elmas we could have that option.

jim

Honestly Jim,
i didn't follow most of that, but it's ok.
I'm going to suggest that you might be focusing too much on the 22 step thing. If you really wanted that fine of a gain, there are provisions on
Martins boards for an interstage pot, or switch(sortof like they do with 1272's)
If it's for the "mic/line" on the same switch, thats cool, but it's not hard to wire a simple mic/line toggle.

If it's for another reason, i'm all ears.....

If it was up for a vote, i'd vote for getting the EQ part perfect and just make it a a quick easy "cut in" on Martins boards.(as martins boards sound great)
But thats just me.....

Personally, I would be fine with just a separate switch and pot. I know it's not as sexy as the concentric switches on a real 1073, but would be simpler and cheaper to source and design.

-arlen

Latest posts

Back