Fetboy PSU working ... almost ??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyMart

Hi, needed 48v dc for a coule of V676's that I'm about to rack up, so I had
all the required parts for the "Fetboy" setup and decided to build one on good quality Veroboard ( FR4 type, thick see through PCB material )
All works fine and I didn't kill myself ! but ... I forgot that my secondaries
are 15v/0v rather than 12v/0v on the fetboy !
I've ended up with the upper LM317 ( that produces the 48v dc ) sitting at
95v dc on the diode string side .. !
Output voltage is 49.4v dc on the 48v dc rail
The 24 volt rail is outputting 23.4v dc

Am I miles off here or good to go for 24v and 48v use as far as mic's go that's not too over is it ??
Do I need to reduce the 95 dc a bit to save the LM317 ?
Thanks for your insight people :D
Marty.
Oh, I'm in the UK so primary of traffo is 0 and 238v , it's secondaries are
2 x 0v and 15v and it's rated @ 1.15VA per secondary made by "Block" and around 3.5cm square.

We need a schematic of your PSU.

There is surely something seriously wrong if you get 95 V from a 15 V transformer (primary windings in parallel instead of series?). And a transformer rated for 1.15 VA won't last too long either unless your pre just draws a few mA...

Samuel

schem : http://fucanay.fischerworks.com/diy/FETBOY_PSU_Schem.gif

Have a 2w 1k6 resistor in series to the top LM317, output is 48.7v and input is now 50.5v
Output from the lower LM317 is 27v ! ( a bit high )
Though I dont need this right now, it's just 48v for a pair of mics that I'm after.
Had it running with no load for an hour and neither `lm317 nor resistors are
getting hot, barely warm in fact. ( heat sinked )
Suggestions ?
Thanks,
Marty.

That is a modification of a PSU board from Peter C that is used for the Green Preamps.

Check this whole thread for the details of how it developed.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=21595&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Matt

Thanks Matt, I think I have it down now, I'm using a dual 15v secondary supply wired in series, so was having the larger than required voltage problems that you were.
Have made a few adjustments and it's running quite cool and the voltages are close to where they should be.
I had most caps over "spec" anyway, so removing D4/C13 and using a couple of 2W series resistors seems to have helped !
Bit of a PSU noob, but I'm getting there.
Marty.

Latest posts

Back