math and speaker cab question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

looking at a cabinet that is a 4 X10 speaker cab w/tweeter. It rated @ 350 watts RMS and 700 peak. It's an 8 ohm cab.

SO without pulling it apart each speaker is going to be roughly 75 watts RMS and the tweeter is 50 watts RMS?

which 75+75+75+75 = 300 300+50=350 watts RMS

Each speaker is rated at a resistance of_ ohms and that is determined if the sspeakers are wired in series or parallel.

IF wired in series each speaker would be 4ohms and if wired in parallel each speaker would be 16 ohms?

If I needed to up the total RMS of the cab I could put in new speakers rated for high RMS value but the rated ohms is going to be based upon if the cab is wired series VS parallel correct?

I think you can have a 4x10 at 8 Ohms with 4 8 Ohm speakers. Two speakers in series and the two series strings in parallel will give 8 Ohms. The tweeter is hooked across the whole thing. It doesn't start appearing as an impedance until the crossover goes above the crossover frequency. In this configuration, each speaker should be able to handle at least 100 RMS Watts.

ah hah. Now it's all making sense to me. thanks man... :thumb:

Long story short, the 75 watt speakers keep ripping on the paper cones as the output of the head is 750 RMS.... Not good. So figuring to replace to speakers in the cab :?

Latest posts

Back