different brands of ne5534

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumsolly

I was looking at mouser for ne5534's and found that they carry 3 different manufacturers: ON semiconductor, Texas Instruments, and NJR. The NJR are about half the price of the others. I was wondering if there is any reason not to use the NJR's. I saw them recommended in another thread. I was also curious about a reason for the price discrepancy between brands.
thanks, Ben

In what circuit are you going to use them ? That's a factor as well.
There has been previous talk about the different brands and various people have done comparisons & reported here.

And don't you believe these three are all brands of '5532, but you'll know that :wink:
Signetics, Philips...

[quote author="clintrubber"]

And don't you believe these three are all brands of '5532, but you'll know that :wink:
Signetics, Philips...[/quote]

and JRC .. :? what brand is that btw? Is it Signetics?

Or just JRC (duh :wink: )

[quote author="radiance"]Are they any good?[/quote]
To function as an opamp ? I guess so. It's a vague question!

But people have been doing listening tests etc (search around here) and IIRIC you can't go wrong with the Signetics & Philips types... but exactly these are hard to come by; who knows that partly influenced the preference for those... :cool:

Yeah, vage question indeed.... don't know what I was thinking..

[quote author="clintrubber"]you can't go wrong with the Signetics & Philips types... but exactly these are hard to come by; who knows that partly influenced the preference for those... :cool:[/quote]

Try rotor amsterdam. I recently (half a year ago) bought 50 Philips NE5532AN's from them...

[quote author="radiance"]Yeah, vage question indeed.... don't know what I was thinking..

[quote author="clintrubber"]you can't go wrong with the Signetics & Philips types... but exactly these are hard to come by; who knows that partly influenced the preference for those... :cool:[/quote]

Try rotor amsterdam. I recently (half a year ago) bought 50 Philips NE5532AN's from them...[/quote]
Aha, hamsteren :wink:
Ja, ik een tijdje terug ook maar een railtje Philips '5534AN bij RS besteld toen het nog kon.

Ik heb trouwens nog geen 553x's van NXP gezien maar zodra die opduiken weten we dat het nep is :cool:

[quote author="Ptownkid"]I remember listening to the comparisons that were done here, and not liking one more than the other. I honestly don't think it's all that critical.[/quote]

Well, those Philips ones really look cool with that little logo on them :wink:

[quote author="radiance"]Well, those Philips ones really look cool with that little logo on them :wink:[/quote]
Ja ja, je komt uit Nederland zeker :wink:

Let's also link to these yet another time...

NE5533AN.jpg

I have used lots of the JRC's and they sound fine....try some out in your console, it is the easiest mod, I think all you need to do is add the 22pf freq/comp cap between pins 5&8, and Bob's you uncle..... the 5534 is a very good sounding op amp!

I'm pretty sure that the different variations of this op amp are different designs - even though they meet the same spec.
I noticed a long time ago that the Texas version got a lot hotter than the Signetics one and I know that this became an issue for certain desk manufacturers where they had a lot of them packed in a tight space.
I've come across Signetics, Philips (later version of Signetics), Texas, JRC, and also Raytheon (the Scudbuster people!).
My MCI desk was packed full of Ratheon A versions. They seemed OK but did fail a lot more often than the other types.
I have been using Texas ones recently as there is a local supplier but
given the choice I'd personally I'd go for Signetics (when I can find NOS ones) or Philips.
Does anyone know what people like SSL are using now?
I'd love to know.

From other threads I've read on this topic, the TI ones are the most popular after the Signetics ones.

However, if memory serves, (and I'm sure someone else can clarify), NXP (the new name for Phillips Semiconductor) had an awful fire at one of their wafer fabs in France a few years ago that halted production of their NE5532.

Clint, can you confirm that?

[quote author="Rochey"]From other threads I've read on this topic, the TI ones are the most popular after the Signetics ones.

However, if memory serves, (and I'm sure someone else can clarify), NXP (the new name for Phillips Semiconductor) had an awful fire at one of their wafer fabs in France a few years ago that halted production of their NE5532.

Clint, can you confirm that?[/quote]
That's correct, the Caen fire resulted in a list of discontinued products and unfortunately the '553x was/were on that list :cry:

A small comment.

Philips TDA-1034 are the forerunner and the orginal design of NE-5534, maybe it can be interesting to compare this old chip with some of the newer versions.

--Bo

[quote author="clintrubber"][quote author="Rochey"]From other threads I've read on this topic, the TI ones are the most popular after the Signetics ones.

Clint, can you confirm that?[/quote]
That's correct, the Caen fire resulted in a list of discontinued products and unfortunately the '553x was/were on that list :cry:[/quote]

I know On Semi took on the production of the Philips NE5517 OTA post-Caenflagration, with Philips' blessing. Since On now shows a datasheet for the 5532, and since this part I don't believe was made by Motorola (whose semiconductor line was mostly taken over by On), I wonder if the On 5532 is closest to the Philips? The On Semi datasheet has a Moto-look to it, but that could just be for retaining a consistent style.

[quote author="bcarso"]I know On Semi took on the production of the Philips NE5517 OTA post-Caenflagration, with Philips' blessing. Since On now shows a datasheet for the 5532, and since this part I don't believe was made by Motorola (whose semiconductor line was mostly taken over by On), I wonder if the On 5532 is closest to the Philips? The On Semi datasheet has a Moto-look to it, but that could just be for retaining a consistent style.[/quote]
That's an interesting point, who knows the '553x have gone the same way as the 5517. We're in ASICs, so don't hear much/anything about what's going on in the 'standard' segment. Or it was buried under all the info that already flies around w.r.t. 'our stuff'. Information overload... need to select...

Latest posts

Back