EZ1084EQ NEW BATCH COMING - SEE MY MARCH 27 COMMENT ON PAGE 38

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello  8)

So there seems to be a slight "problem" with both of my units. I have been using them mainly as inserts while mixing, and they work fine being fed from my SSL Alphalinks through my patchbay. No problems with audio coming from my ELI LilFreq`s either (both balanced sources). However, when being fed from my Strymon pedals or Waldorf XT, the audio is much lower in volume and thinned out.

Both of the problematic sources are un-balanced line signals. So I guess the problem is in the wiring...?

Waldorf XT audio output, specified in manual: +10dBm (feels to me as typical low-ish line level, but not used to the dBm scale)
Strymon pedals audio input, specified in manual: maximum +6dBu (no problem using with line sources, just not too loud ones).

SSL Alphalinks have +22dBu (inputs and outputs) (0dBfs)

I don`t know the impedance on inputs and outputs, not stated in the manuals.

fragletrollet said:
Waldorf XT audio output, specified in manual: +10dBm (feels to me as typical low-ish line level, but not used to the dBm scale)
Strymon pedals audio input, specified in manual: maximum +6dBu (no problem using with line sources, just not too loud ones).

The Waldorf XT should be OK so let's work with that first. If you plug it into your SSL Alphalinks you are OK right?

If yes, then it may be the wiring. You should make sure your Hot is connected to Hot. Then connect the other wire to Neutral. Leave ground out at first and check results. If you get hum try connecting ground to Neutral.

Let me know.

Cheers

Jim

Bluzzi said:
fragletrollet said:

The Waldorf XT should be OK so let's work with that first. If you plug it into your SSL Alphalinks you are OK right?

If yes, then it may be the wiring. You should make sure your Hot is connected to Hot. Then connect the other wire to Neutral. Leave ground out at first and check results. If you get hum try connecting ground to Neutral.

Let me know.

Cheers

Jim

XT into Alphalinks no problem. Tried with a few other sources, and it seems to be specific to unbalanced connections. I`ll try to open the units over the weekend and check out the wiring again.

Just finished my pair! Thanks Bluzzi for this exceptional project, they sound fantastic, and your support during the build was first class too. Also, the custom cases from Dan at Collective Cases adds a nice touch as well.

Attachments

• Fast Trax Neve 1084 EQs.jpg
    Fast Trax Neve 1084 EQs.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 186
The units look impeccable. You did  a great job. Dan makes nice cases for sure.

Let us know what you use them on. Always a thrill to see the babies growing up!

Cheers

Jim

rob61 said:
Just finished my pair! Thanks Bluzzi for this exceptional project, they sound fantastic, and your support during the build was first class too. Also, the custom cases from Dan at Collective Cases adds a nice touch as well.

G'day there Bluzzi.  I seem to be having the same problem as FragleTrollet. 

I recently picked up a RME UFX interface, primarily so I can use outboard loops at mixing/production stage - a luxury i've never had before.  Talk about a revelation!  I've been using these 1084's for years now, but until recently they've never been tested outside of a tracking chain.

Anyway, when I patch the 1084's into an outboard loop, I seem to have a similar issue with the gain staging - that is, my unit's seem to be passing signal at mic level output (at best), certainly not at line level.  I know it's not a routing or software gain staging error as my other outboard pieces are passing signal at relative parity.  The UFX is gain selectable on both the input and output, the options being -10, +4 and high gain (whatever that may be), and all my patch cabling is balanced.

I'll inspect the output pins as suggested in advice above.  Otherwise, if you have any other suggestions how I could correct this I am all ears  :)

Since I have not tried patching like this (I don't use it like this so never experienced it) I would have to duplicate the problem somehow in order to help better.

Why don't we ask Fragle Trollet to chime in? He may have solved the problem! I'll send him a note.

Cheers

Jim

Che_Guitarra said:
Anyway, when I patch the 1084's into an outboard loop, I seem to have a similar issue with the gain staging - that is, my unit's seem to be passing signal at mic level output (at best), certainly not at line level.  I know it's not a routing or software gain staging error as my other outboard pieces are passing signal at relative parity.  The UFX is gain selectable on both the input and output, the options being -10, +4 and high gain (whatever that may be), and all my patch cabling is balanced.

So your signal passes at a normal level with the EZ1084 in "hard" bypass but really low with the eq engaged?

Can I get the exact definition of
Hard Bypass
Send
Normal Bypass

I assume
Hard Bypass - Bypass everything
Send - EQ in
Normal Bypass - Signal thru Iron only

Bonsaimaster said:
Can I get the exact definition of
Hard Bypass
Send
Normal Bypass

I assume
Hard Bypass - Bypass everything
Send - EQ in
Normal Bypass - Signal thru Iron only

I used the term Hard Bypass for wire to wire (input xlr direct to output xlr). It's a straight patch through.
Normal Bypass is as per the NEVE 1084 schematic. It bypasses the passive EQ stages but signal goes through all active electronics, including of course the input and output XFRs. The gain is also active.

Cheers

Jim

I am having trouble with my second channel. The second channel has gain issues.

Compared to the first channel the output is low when the gain is turned down compared to the same level on the working channel.

When the gain is turned up the signal distorts at very low gain levels. I am turned up max on the adjustment trim to keep from clipping. All resistors check out ok. All caps check out ok. Replaced 2N3055 TRANSISTOR no change.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2765.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2765.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 26
Hi!! Just wanted to say thanks for this great Project! I finished my stereo set in one of the new Dan´s stereo cases and it sounds amazing! I used a little Sunpowers SMPS as suggested by Dr_J and it works, makes no noise that I can hear by normal use, fits in the case and is also a cheap option. Really happy with it.

Back