Tweaking shure levelloc release times?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peeceebee

I'm too much of a plumber to figure out what component to tweak to adjust the release time in one of these-
Anyone who has played with tweaking it, or who knows what they're doing, have any suggestions what to try?

Schematic can be found here:

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/shurem62v.pdf

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/shurem62.pdf

for the simpler circuit without the input control stuff. May be easier to work it out from...

I'd like to know as well.

Anyone know were i can buy a 3 position 3 pole slide switch for one of these. RS, Farnel and Rapid don't stock them.

Take a look at where the Attack and Release controls are in the 1176.

In the Level-loc they would be inserted at point "C," the output of the Gain Reduction Control Amp, before the 1M feeding the Gate of the FET.

EDIT: Can't believe I didn't mention changing the values of the fixed time constants. Musta been early. Brain no work-y till night time.

Interesting that in the m62 the signal rectification is being performed by diodes, and in the m62v the Base/Collector junction of Q6 and Q7 are doing that job. Presumably, the v version was considered an improvement, so what benefit is there to using the BJTs as signal rectifiers?

So from glancing at the 1176 schematic, I'm guessing that maybe taking point "c" as you suggest closer to and farther from ground would vary the release time?
(Please forgive my ignorance, I'm a tube guy and just don't fathom all these bases and collectors and the like-)

Replaced the cap with a mylar 2uf as opposed to the electrolytic that was in there, noticeably smoother and cleaner release. Tried a 5uf electrolytic, very nice slightly longer release-
BUT trying to go faster, tried a .5 and smaller, got faster BUT with GREATLY increased distortion-
A shame, because faster is where I want to go.
Any suggestions to try?

Thanks- Pete

Latest posts

Back