Owon Inexpensive Benchtop Scope

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Ptownkid"]hOW CAN THEY POSSIBLY BE THAT CHEAP...THAT WORRIES AND INTRIGUES ME.[/quote]

ME TOO.

Which is why I asks abouts it...

I did hear from one satisfied customer that Saelig has good customer service. If it turns out to be a piece of crap, should be able to return it without hassle.

Still on the fence, though, about ordering it...

Leigh

From what little i was able to find on it, people seem generally impressed by it's ability BASED ON IT'S PRICE. Lots of features etc...

The only negative i could find was that it's a little noisy, have a look at the screen shots in the manual and you'll see what i mean.

check craigslist for scopes. I got mine there on the cheap. it's duel channel 100Mhz Hitachi with super super clean screen shots. I couldn't ask for more and got it for around 75.00 If I would have haggled could have got it for cheap but wanted to get it and get back to work.

[quote author="Ptownkid"]The only negative i could find was that it's a little noisy, have a look at the screen shots in the manual and you'll see what i mean.[/quote]

Yep, I see it there. Crunchy little square waves.

[quote author="Ptownkid"]The only negative i could find was that it's a little noisy, have a look at the screen shots in the manual and you'll see what i mean.[/quote]

Actually, checking over the stats of this scope, I'm thinking that at least some of that is quantization noise. Its vertical resolution is only 8 bits, and that's transposed onto a 640 X 480 display.

I almost ordered one of these, but I'm now leaning towards finding a used old school 'scope. If I want a rough digital representation of a waveform, I'll use my laptop (which for many purposes, is just fine).

Leigh

The moulding looks v. similar to the newer, cheaper range of Tek 'scopes that are made in China.

For affordable 'scopes, I like Japanese-made units such as Kenwood and Hitachi.

Justin

[quote author="thermionic"]The moulding looks v. similar to the newer, cheaper range of Tek 'scopes that are made in China.

For affordable 'scopes, I like Japanese-made units such as Kenwood and Hitachi.[/quote]

Like this Kenwood model?

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/kenwood/oscilloscopes/cs4100series.htm

That's a dealer's site... couldn't for the life of me find any info on this scope on the Kenwood site itself.

Leigh

[quote author="leigh"][quote author="thermionic"]The moulding looks v. similar to the newer, cheaper range of Tek 'scopes that are made in China.

For affordable 'scopes, I like Japanese-made units such as Kenwood and Hitachi.[/quote]

Like this Kenwood model?

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/kenwood/oscilloscopes/cs4100series.htm

That's a dealer's site... couldn't for the life of me find any info on this scope on the Kenwood site itself.

Leigh[/quote]

Oops! :oops: I missed your reply - sorry!

I have a small Kenwood that's very similar to that one and I love it. I have access to bigger and faster scopes, but I use the Kenwood 99% of the time as it's quiet and does exactly what it claims to do.

I don't know what else to say, other than I believe Kenwood to make a nice, affordable scope that's quiet and useable. For 'no frills' scopes, Kenwood do a good job IMO.

Justin

Latest posts

Back