Cleaning pcbs in vintage synths...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basscakes

I just got my hands on a Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 rev 3.3. Cosmetically it is 9 out of ten, but once I opened it up,it has crude all over the inside. Looks like the Marlboro Man used it as an ashtray. Can anyone recommend a good product for cleansing the internals of this beast?

I made a "vaccu-probe" that reduces a standard shop vac diameter hose down to a foot long piece of Canare 1/2" jacketing with the use of shrink tube. You can do the same with a trip to the local hardware store. Just select a tube that does not go static with rubbing. A schpritz of static guard on the tube before working can help. I have tried mini-vacs and they do not have good power, and the tubes are a brittle static-y plastic.

Do NOT use any brush, like a paint brush or vac brush, as it can create a static condition. Do not use canned air, because the blown dust can also create a static condition, and it just blows dust everywhere else.

Work across the boards a 1/4" row at a time with an overlap.
Mike

I was thinking about buying an electronics vacuum at the local Micro Center, but that is a terrific idea. After giving 5 more minutes of thought after posting, I decided that it might be better to just get the loose crap out of the unit and just get it back up and running.

Funny, I was just thinking about those mini-vacs. Great idea Mike!

I'll have to moke something for my hoover. I guess u made it work with multiple diameter shrink tuves to fet it down to the smaller size?

I wonder if a plastic funnel would work.

Back