My little prototype mic preamp I'm working on...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owel

I'm working an all discrete mic preamp that I plan to develop into a project Kit.

Here are some pics of my adventures.

Prototype #001 and #002. Number 001 above is just the line driver output stage. Number 002, I added the mic preamp input stage, plus the line driver output stage. Also rearranged components for prototype PCB#002. This is the 7th iteration of my PCB design layout.
prototype-1and2.jpg

Closeup.
prototype-profile.jpg

Wired and ready. The piggytail potentiometer is only there temporarily. I'll replace it with a resistor ladder/selector switch to control gain. You can also see the phantom power switch, and -20dB pad switch. I didn't cut the wires of the Sowter transformers because I may use it for other prototyping and don't want to cut it short.
prototype-top.jpg

I've tested it with my cheap MXL mic, applied phantom power, and it works... sounds very nice too :) At present it's powered by 40VDC (because that's as high as my bench PSU can go... but this will be eventually powered with a single 48VDC PSU.

[quote author="bluebird"]Whoa. :shock:

Looks cool. is this a Neve type circuit?[/quote]

It's not a Neve clone but is Neve-inspired :)

I did use the same Sowter equivalent input and output transformers used by Neve, and TO-3 transistors for that "Neve look". Actually, a tried it with TO-220 and it works just fine with that too. But I like the look of the TO-3.

I guess it´s a neve input stage (with plain lytics instead of tantalums) and that yamaha output stage you posted some weeks ago. Looks like a nice combination...

Hoe does the lytics compares to the tantalums?

Panasonics have electrolytics that are designated "Tantalum subsitute" on the digikey website. I like it. It's about the same price more or less as the FC series.

[quote author="rafafredd"]What is the series?[/quote]

Example: Type P823-ND in digikey.

Series KA
Features Possible Tantalum Substitute

Latest posts

Back