Multitap transformer question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Jones

In the things that I build I often need a mains transformer with multiple secondary windings, the first a center tapped 30V winding to give me +/- 15 Volt rails, and a second 9V winding to give me a +5 Volt supply. These Xformers come from Farnell and are expensive, so I was wondering if it would be possible to use a cheaper transformer that has only one secondary winding but lots of taps? there is a relatively cheap one at Jaycar with 0, 9V, 12V, 15V 18V, 21V, 24V and 30V taps.

Can I for instance use the 0 - 15 - 30 taps for my +/- 15 supply and at the same time use the 9V tap for the 5V supply, or will this cause symmetry and loading problems within the transformer?

I would think that those "cheapies" are an either/or choice, I can't imagine that they would stand up to multiple tap use !!
If the overall ratings were high, like 30Va then they get more expensive ..right ?
MM.

Why not get a 30v CT Transformer to get your +/-15v and then regulate the +15 volt to +5v , as long as there is enough current available for all parts of the curcuit then there shouldn"t be any Loading problems....

[quote author="Steve Jones"]Can I for instance use the 0 - 15 - 30 taps for my +/- 15 supply and at the same time use the 9V tap for the 5V supply, or will this cause symmetry and loading problems within the transformer?[/quote]
The 15 will be ground, so the 24 could be your 9v.

[quote author="walter"][quote author="Steve Jones"]Can I for instance use the 0 - 15 - 30 taps for my +/- 15 supply and at the same time use the 9V tap for the 5V supply, or will this cause symmetry and loading problems within the transformer?[/quote]
The 15 will be ground, so the 24 could be your 9v.[/quote]
The 15 to 21V tap with halfwave rectifier giving 8.5V - 1 diode drop might also fit if heat is an issue.

[quote author="walter"][quote author="Steve Jones"]Can I for instance use the 0 - 15 - 30 taps for my +/- 15 supply and at the same time use the 9V tap for the 5V supply, or will this cause symmetry and loading problems within the transformer?[/quote]

Oops, well spotted!

[quote author="Harpo"][quote author="walter"][quote author="Steve Jones"]Can I for instance use the 0 - 15 - 30 taps for my +/- 15 supply and at the same time use the 9V tap for the 5V supply, or will this cause symmetry and loading problems within the transformer?[/quote]
The 15 to 21V tap with halfwave rectifier giving 8.5V - 1 diode drop might also fit if heat is an issue.[/quote]

Good point, keep the voltage drop down across the 5V regulator to keep the heat down.

[quote author="BYacey"]That transformer should work just fine. How much current are you going to be pulling off the 5V supply?[/quote]

Not sure yet, I am still designing things at the moment. Bet it's cold in Canada now, I just spent a lot of time there working over the last 2 years, hope you are keeping warm...

[quote author="Steve Jones"][quote author="BYacey"]That transformer should work just fine. How much current are you going to be pulling off the 5V supply?[/quote]

Not sure yet, I am still designing things at the moment. Bet it's cold in Canada now, I just spent a lot of time there working over the last 2 years, hope you are keeping warm...[/quote]

Naw, it's nice here today, it warmed up to about -6C.

Back