Dual Pultec or 2 mono G-Pultec's?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW

Hey guys,
Just thought I'd ask a quick question as far as what you'd recommend for someone who has built a bunch of stuff from kits (Seventh Circle). I read schematics, but it takes a long time to eventually wrap my head around what's going on, and even then I don't always understand them fully.

I've spent a number of hours looking at the Pultec metas. And it appears 2 mono Pultecs would be an easier project to do than 1 stereo unit, mainly because I haven't sourced where to find appropriate PCB's for a dual Pultec.

Just thought I'd ask what you guys recommend for someone in my position. This will be the first project I try to build from the ground up. But I think there's enough info out there already to help me along.

Thanks a bunch.
Jon

I'd recommend the Dual from Tat, it's an essential part of my work flow, and favors very well against my Vintage tube Pultec EQH-2 :thumb:

Either going for what's easy [ pcbs ]
what's cheap , p2p , or what sounds good
and that could be any combination

So when someone spends years looking for the Magical / mythical
pultec , you can hardly blame them for not knowing where to start
and if building one brings it closer to reality than buying one , then
sure , after the research [ this included ] see what feels best for
time & money and so your audio education continues .
Start wherever you can , easy on the dreams and work on the
practical , The majority of the " magic " will come from the music
itself & performance of , but still some things sound better than
others , so

my recomendation is do whatever you can & be happy with it ,
learn and move on [ i still order wrong parts sometimes , i gotta get
that lesson , patience ! ] any of those options sound fine just a matter
of balence between time & money .

Good luck & skill

I once spent the better part of a day searching schematic and patent databases for any documentation of the WE filter on which the Pultec is allegedly based. I never found it.

I think the more likely scenario is that Pulse Techniques had to acknowledge WE patents when marketing their product--since it operated on principles within the scope of WE's patents on telephone line equalizer circuits--but that their filter itself was not lifted verbatim from a WE product. If anyone has documentation to the contrary, I'd love to see it.

I spent years looking for the " filter network "
, only to realize i had no idea how to get the right inductor

But your story seems right if they didn't outright pay for something

I built a point-to-point dual G-pultec, with a single (of course) tube power supply modeled on the original-
Was a fun project, great-sounding unit- I like working point to point, has a certain elegance, must be all those years repairing old guitar amps...

Latest posts

Back