Cutting a G7 board down to fit?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenovice

I have a mxl 992 body im using as an donor for my G7 project.

The gustav PCB is a bit too long for the body.

i either have to mod the body or the pcb.

im curious if I cut part of the pcb off to relocate it elsewhere would i simply have to tap new holes into the "tracks on the pcbs ?

maybe im going about this all wrong?

too bad the pcb for the g7 isn't in three sections it would open up many possibilities ......

suppose ill get er done either which way.

gonna be a tight fit.

are you talking about drilling mounting holes in the copper traces (tracks) on the pcb? this is not a good idea. the trace around the perimeter of the g7 pcb is the heater and B+ ground. you would be grounding this to the mic chassis in 4 different places with the screws that attach to the rails. it might be ok but it is not good circuit building. grounding should be at one point in the mic. you could try grinding the board flush with the traces. if it fits.(i cant say it will i dont own a 992) you could try attaching it to the rails with silicone caulking. this stuff is very strong but will take at least 8 hours to dry . i would give it 24. anyone see a problem with this solution?

no actually i didnt mean mounting holes at all.
i meant cutting right across the pcb with a jigsaw.

thank you for helping though.
[i figured if i did it the way i was thinking i'd might have some grounding issues.]
although i can not see them myself as it really just seems to me I'd be building the circuit mostly on the pcb and the part which would be trimmed off would simply be point to point?

hmmm

i guess google is my friend.

thnx seavote

the copper traces[trakcs] act simply as wires do correct so with that stated would i have grounding problems if i cut the pcb in half? and did part of it point to point?

your solution seems possible but i think i would get a mic body that fits the project. if you cut the pcb there is a good chance the traces will start to lift from the board. if your going through the time, money and effort your better off doing the project the tried and true way.

ahhh got it! [p2p]
think I shall make framing though for the components out of Acrylic

will this have any effect on the mic body acoustics?

Back