Pultec clone other option than LL5402 transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you can use the Edcor XS1100. It's an alternative to the LL5402. Although i have to say i don't know how it sounds as i have a LL5402 in my Pultec clone and i don't know if it's pin compatible.

Flo

Seems like they are not according to the data sheets - I need to investigate in that as well, might need an alternative input trafo for the Gyraf Pultec.

cheers
Christoph

Did a comparison today between my two G-Pultecs.

One is with Triad HS-56 in Lundahl 5402 out.
Other is Triad HS-56 in, Triad HS-66 out. Wired 600/150.

Everything inside is identical, including two NOS Amperex 6922s and Solen polyprop caps for the amp. Filter was 'off'.

Triad out sounded a bit muffled in the start. Changing the terminating resistor to 1.1K brought some highs back methinks.

The Triad version definitely sounds a bit less hi-fi than the lundahl. On most (full-range, cd)material I played through it though, I liked it better than the Swede.

Jazz music somehow sounded better through the Triad, whereas Lundahl sounded better on hip-hop material (lots of frequency extremes).

Please don't bother yourself too much with it though, i'm talking quite subtle differences here. I would certainly not be able to discern any differences at my home hi-fi for example.

p.s. Sowter has some new transformers listed for the G-Pultecs. 8403 and 9540. Based on everything else I've listened to from his catalog, they ought to be brilliant!

Good stuff.
Thank you.

The Triad roll off vs the Lundahl fidelity, can you sweep both side by side?
That would be a gas.

I think the triad is an F core, is the LL a dual bobbin affair?
That would account for the diff.

I have UTC input and OEP output on my two units, although I've been thinking about trying some other transformers, as I'm not all that much impressed with the overall sound... :roll:

[quote author="tony dB"]I have Edcor XS1100 in my 1176 and am not missing LL5402 at all.[/quote]

You must have stock in the company or something. :razz:

But really, I JUST got 2 XS1100... don't know what I'm going to use them on yet. & 4 XSM 10k:10K. Going to try one on my LA2A input & 2 on my stereo (solid state) Pultec's input. Already have 4 XSM 10k:600 for LA2A out & MILA Pre out.
Haven't tried ANY of them yet but am looking forward to them, especially after all the rave reviews from guys like Analag & Tony. :thumb:

And less than $140 for 10 Trannys is KILLER! :green:

[quote author="khstudio"]
And less than $140 for 10 Trannys is KILLER! :green:[/quote]

Yes that's really great about them. And they are supposed to sound good too (haven't tried any yet). I am planning on using all Edcor iron on my dual LA2A and my forsell comp still needs some output iron. I can hardly justify spending $200-300 on iron per project.

Flo

my forsell comp still needs some output iron

Interesting you mention this... I JUST finished mine & I'm trying to calibrate it right now. I'll be posting Pics soon. No Iron in mine... Un-Bal I/O. It's really a cool piece.

CJ , when are you going to tear apart that Freed 1:1 ?
I have a spectrasonic 101 that I replaced the hv66 with the freed .
I didnt expect there to be much difference but there sure was .
Freed sounded ( to my ears ) bigger . Cant wait to try it on my pultec

whuich freed?
they made a bunch, transistor pultec, or tube transformers?

it is hard to screw up a 1:1,

you can do stuff though, like fucking with the core, that WE 117 A that Soundguy turned me on is a fucking 1 to one monster!

It is all in how you load the core.

You do not want to use a huge core ona small signal, there is this thing called core loss trhat will eat the signal.

the bigger the core, the more core loss, nickel is very low loss, so you can use a bigger chunk and get away with a 1:30 monster like the ollinatore makes, get me?

gotcha - the transformers I have are the
scully 1:1 outputs # 32035 .

I guy in chicago gave me a box of these , I want to use them .

I am curious about The WE 111C -117a

A small update from my mucking about with transformers on the G-Pultec.

I found some time today and tried a Peerless E204D on the output wired again 600:150

Wow!

Compared to the dry signal and the Hs-66 output, this thing acquired some bigger balls. (filter on bypass)

The bass frequencies got rounder and prettier. (probably louder also. I should fft the bastard)

I tried putting a double bass recording I did on the weekend through it. Compared to the peerless equipped pultec the original sounded lifeless and sterile. It brought a big smile to my face.

I think that CJ said this particular transformer might have the same S217 12L lams in it.
Who knows, I might be approaching that elusive pultec sound. I certainly wish I had an original to compare.
:thumb: :sam: :thumb:

We've been there before: The reason is that the Pultec filter goes towards VERY low internal impedance at high boost settings, so it benefits greatly from very low source impedance. And 5402 gives very nice low source impedance (i.e. low copper resistance) and high overload margin when used as input.

Jakob E.

Back