need some advice on which size pots to get for chicken knobs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

versuviusx

ok so i have the choice of getting 24mm,12mm and 16mm long shaft pots.
which one will be optimal for using a chicken head knob.the face plate is not thick at all. any help would be great.

well it totally depends on which shaft size the chickenhead knobs are available!

for what its worth most chickenheads for sale in the USA are intended for 1/4" shafts

If I understand you correctly you are asking about the length of the shaft not the diameter? I believe the normal practice is to buy longer than you need and cut it down depending on the depth of the insert in the knob, the thickness of your front panel, the amount of washers/spacers etc etc.

cheers,
Ruairi

Well I just center the pot and hold the tip with lock pliers and carefully use a hack saw. This way your cutting doesn't bash against the pot ends. All shafts I have ever seen are aluminum or plastic and cut very easily.

In my experience a shorter shaft is preferable. The set screw in the knob will allow the correct placement above the front plate surface.

[quote author="versuviusx"]how do you cut it down?[/quote]

Put the scrap end in a vice, much more sturdy than holding it, cut it off a bit shorter than you want 2 or 3mm, with a hack saw. Then take a file or sandpaper and smooth off the edges.

I like to get the .335" shaft length, they look good with most chicken head knobs.

Not sure how expensive you want to get, but check out the Mouser 31VJ505-F (Alpha) for a good pic.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/625/512.pdf

Latest posts

Back