Repairing a Lang PEQ2

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tekay

I have lost the three lowest frequencies on the high boost. The switch is OK so the problem must be inside the can holding the filter network but how the F#"¤ do I open it ? :? Guess the can is holding some caps and an inductor?

relax, and move .....vveeeerrrrrry ssslllowly.

melt the shit in the can verrrrrrrrrrrry slowlllllly so you dont overeat the iron and f up the anneal.
this is an easy job, you just follow the open circuit to the wire that has been corroded or wjatever.

the number one failure of mot transformers or inductors is in the break out, or hook up, or somwhere between the last turn of copper and a piece of cloth wire that may lead to a header plater, like a utc or peerless k 241, so you have htree places to lose at worst, depending on brand.
do not breathe that wax, lookmwhat happened to me!

juust be careful and you can fix it.

Just got the lid off, looks like I have to desolder all cables and then lift out the filternetwork.
The switch is OK so I guess the problem lays in the inductor connections as Chris said, don't think that three caps will go bad at the same time.

Let you know how it goes

Hi, Will take a lot of pictures and make a drawing of atleast the high freq filternetwork. Guess my LCR meter will be VERY useful now.

I used a hammer and a small screwdriver to get the top off.

Hi,

I know this thread is over 4 years old, but wondering what the outcome was?

I have a line on some Langs and wanted to know if this failure is common before I commit? Don't want to get into f*ing around with hermetically sealed filter networks and hot wax dripping...  :-\

MAN I SOUNDED WEIRD BACK THEN, WAS I ON CRACK?

I TOOK APART A COUple of the transformers for the peq, there are a bunch of them on there,

those old opamps can be a crap shoot, but just stick a diy api in there,

Back