pots and knobs some are .25inches some are 6 mm need help

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

versuviusx

ok
so i have some pots and the Diamter of these pots are .25 inches.
then i have some knobs which are from china. the diameter for these are 6mm. 6mm = 0.2362204724412 inches. so it comes really really close but it's not big enough for the .25 diameter of the shaft for the pot i'm using. any help would be great. should i just find a 50k audio pot that is 6mm or is there a way i can use the one i have now and some how find some knobs that are .25 diameter. maybe there is a small adapter or something so i can go to big to smaller and be able to use the same pot i have now. any help would be awesome. really need to figure this out

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/632/578.pdf

if you take a look at figures F and H...they seem to be the only ones with .236 inches diameter. everything else is .25inches
it seems that most stuff is 6mm!

[quote author="gar381"]a lot of 6mm knobs can be drilled out to 1/4". Done it many times.
give it a try! :thumb:

GARY[/quote]

Yep get you a real sharp 1/4" bit. Hold the knob with a vise or channel locks. If they have a set screw and a brass insert BE CAREFUL, the brass insert will spin and ruin the knob unless you run the set screw in just far enough to keep it from spinning, but not so far that you will hit it with your bit.

I got a good deal on a ton of chicken head knobs that was advertised as 1/4", guess what, they aint. I drilled them all out. Ruined one to figure out the set screw trick.

Latest posts

Back