Math geeks and panel graphics unite

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something like this?

Scale2.gif

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

I think I cracked that one also. Here's another test:

Scale3.gif

Still no hard math involved, but I did have to look up something in the "Blue book"...

Could this "tool" be remotely useful to anybody? If so I could add PDF or other output formats.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

completely useful.

this is the tool I'm working on building.

Here are the other features I intended:

Variable stroke size and length for the lines.

Variable scale names( the ability to create a list of titles that would appear next to the scales, so instead of 1-10, you could put in -60, -50. Or close, closer, disco, for that matter). Also the ability to vary font size for scale names. Also the ability to specify the name on the inside or outside of the scale.

The ability to specifiy a start and finish offset ( this would allow the printing of scales for the Lorlin type switches that are 2X6 or 4X3).

The ability to create sub-ticks, and specify their length.

The ability to substitue a small circle instead of a line(for either major or minor ticks)

The ability to vary the degree of tick separation.

None of these features seem like rocket science, and to me, would make my panels "dead sexy".

This is where I'm headed with this, the way it's going, you're beatin me to the punch :grin:

I did manage to figure out a way to save in PNG format from my app, as the JPG was really crap when rendered.

Regards

ju

You are aproaching perfection, MCS.

That´s really useful, at least for me...

It would be nice to have a downloadable .EXE version... Would this be possible? Or can I just save the web browser page and run it from my HD?

He'd have to provide the cmd file that's being referenced as well, in order to run it locally, which means it's likely to only work on a pc for local stuff.

regards

ju

Here's a small update.

Here's a new sample scale:

Scale4.gif

And here's the settings I used:

ScaleSettings.gif

As you can see I updated the webpage with the new version...

The X in the center is coming right up :green:

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

[quote author="fum"]Variable scale names( the ability to create a list of titles that would appear next to the scales, so instead of 1-10, you could put in -60, -50.[/quote]
This part is done (I think).

Or close, closer, disco, for that matter).
A bit more difficult because of the text placement, but not too difficult...

Also the ability to vary font size for scale names.
No problem - any font size you want :)

The ability to specifiy a start and finish offset ( this would allow the printing of scales for the Lorlin type switches that are 2X6 or 4X3).
A start and end angle you mean? No problem - I'll work on that tomorrow...

The ability to create sub-ticks, and specify their length.
The ability to substitue a small circle instead of a line(for either major or minor ticks)
Also quite possible - but you will end up with a lot of settings...

The ability to vary the degree of tick separation.
Que?

This is where I'm headed with this, the way it's going, you're beatin me to the punch :grin:
I hope you don't mind - I'm just having a bit of fun...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

[quote author="rafafredd"]It would be nice to have a downloadable .EXE version... Would this be possible? Or can I just save the web browser page and run it from my HD?[/quote]
The .cmd file is a REXX script, so you can run it on anything with a REXX interpreter (from PC-DOC to mainframes - including Macs). But since it's a CGI script, you would have to run a local webserver also...

But you don't really need the software. Most of the "software" is actually included in the file you download. If you open the file in a text editor, you'll see this bit near the top:
Code:
% User supplied settings
/outrad 70 def
/inrad 60 def
/steps 11 def
/numsz -5 def
/startnum 25 numsz sub def
/text ( Testing 1 2 3 ) def
% End user supplied settings
Just change the numbers (and text), and you have a new scale.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

As to variance of tick separation. some stepped switches vary the angle of separation between clicks. so you'll want the ability to specify how many degrees between steps ( this goes in tandem with the start and finish offset). In this fashion, you can say, I need 6 steps, with 35 degrees space at the beginning, and 12 degrees between clicks.

As to you crankin this out quicker, it doesn't bother me one bit. To me I thought it was something useful that I need in a bad way, and that the overall group could benefit from. You've either got more spare cycles, or a bigger noggin, so I'm happy either way :thumb:

So yes, what I had in mind had a lot of options, but would be very flexible. You could create anything from what is on the front of an LA2A, to any of the other projects floatin around.

Oh, and have I told you recently that you rule :!: :green: :guinness:

on question. Is the points scale completely relative in postscript?

Regards

ju

[quote author="daArry"]a very tidy app ;)

I dont spose u have/can do a eps to hpgl convertor do ya?[/quote]
You can convert it to HPGL using either CorelDRAW or pstoedit - but the result isn't that great.. I'll see if it can be improved though.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

[quote author="fum"]As to variance of tick separation. some stepped switches vary the angle of separation between clicks. so you'll want the ability to specify how many degrees between steps ( this goes in tandem with the start and finish offset). In this fashion, you can say, I need 6 steps, with 35 degrees space at the beginning, and 12 degrees between clicks.[/quote]
I may be a bit slow (or I had too much wine at dinner), but I don't really understand your example. Is the spacing between the 6 steps 35° or 12° (or both)?

As to you crankin this out quicker, it doesn't bother me one bit. To me I thought it was something useful that I need in a bad way, and that the overall group could benefit from. You've either got more spare cycles, or a bigger noggin, so I'm happy either way :thumb:
I have just solved a lot of strange problems in PostScript - like making invoices from an IBM S36 (meant for a matrix printer) look nice and "modern" on a colour laser...

Oh, and have I told you recently that you rule :!: :green: :guinness:
Thanks!

on question. Is the points scale completely relative in postscript?
Points are used to define positions in "user space". A point is 1/72" (if you didn't know), and 0.0 is the lower left corner.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

[quote author="mcs"]but the result isn't that great.. I'll see if it can be improved though.[/quote]
I made some changes to the "scale drawing engine" :green:, and now the pstoedit produced HPGL file starts to look better.

This is what it looks like when imported into CorelDRAW:

ScalePlot.gif

Could anybody check the HPGL file in Front Panel Designer? Here it is: http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Scale3.plt

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

[quote author="daArry"]Here's the result on importing hpgl into FPD:[/quote]
That looks OK to me? I have never used FPD, so I don't know what it's supposed to look like...

If it's OK, I'll add HPGL output tomorrow.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

fum wrote:
As to variance of tick separation. some stepped switches vary the angle of separation between clicks. so you'll want the ability to specify how many degrees between steps ( this goes in tandem with the start and finish offset). In this fashion, you can say, I need 6 steps, with 35 degrees space at the beginning, and 12 degrees between clicks.
mcs wrote:
I may be a bit slow (or I had too much wine at dinner), but I don't really understand your example. Is the spacing between the 6 steps 35° or 12° (or both)?

this is saying start at 35 degrees, and make 6 steps 12 degrees apart. So 35, 47, 59, etc.

regards

ju

Wow,

You software guys can knock it out quick...

...I'd still be greasing my hole punches at this stage in a project!

:wink:

Good work!

:guinness:

Mark

Back