Lustraphone, BBC, Grundig Ribbon Mic ..Any info

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

http://cgi.ebay.com/DRUM-OH-2x-Ribbon-Mic-Microphone-RCA-44-BK-11-clones_W0QQitemZ120213641956QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120213641956

Saw this on Ebay ???????

I have old ribbon that looks like these with Lustraphone on it, I was told it was a kinda cheapy but old hobbists mic ????

Does any1 know any more about these ???

Thanks chaps.

WOW!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I cannot believe enidng price for those--a marketing BS makes its job.
Those thingies have nothing to do with either RCA 44 or BK 11 :roll: :roll: :roll: .

I serviced a few of those and as you say, cheapy thingies for amateur recordings on portable reel to reels.

With a good transformer and ribbon, I think these could be quite good.

These have been serviced by Sank. You can tell.

Oh, and as far as I know, we didn't use these at the Beeb.

:razz:

Still, that is a shitload of money for those mics. I think I have about eight of them...

Shit loada money alright ! Rodabod is quids in, So they are cheapies then mine looks it but still like the look of it tho, its quite long ribbon too

Can it be that if Mr Sank puts his RCA copy ribbon in the thing it will then be a great mic ??Why didnt the makers get the ribbon right in the first place ?? Does it have the same Motor {is that what we call it} as the RCAs. was thinkin of gutting mine at 1 point and insertin a cond capsule to use on stage

Perhaps mr Sank knows the answer ? then again he prob wants the bisiness, tho I hear his a nice guy... Is he about again didnt he dissapear?

I personally think the motor is good. The original ribbons were well-made too. Also, it has a tension adjuster which is very handy.

Get a nice transformer for it, maybe some internal damping, and it should be good.

IT ALL ABOUT THE STEEL.

BOZWORTH

1000 PAGES, I AM ON PAGE 36...

ANEAL...

CURIE TEMP.

MAGNETIC AGING.
ALLOYS.
ON AND ON THERE IS SO MUCH LOST KNOLEDGE IN LAMS ,

NO REPEAT BUISUNESS, ENVIROMENTAL STUFF, JUST LIKE CATHODES.

I HAVE LIST OF LAMS VS COMPANIES, WILL POST SOON.

Go CJ cramm that knowledge in there :grin:

What ratio tran would be needed ? Sowter ? cinemag? Lundle ?

Without measuring, just whatever is at the lower end of the scale, as the Lustraphone ribbon has a relatively high resistance. I think Sowter does a higher and lower ratio model, the latter being around 1:10.

I am not sure what is so special about RCA original foil as opposed to, let's say, modern 99.99% pure Al stuff... I guess it is a matter of marketing.

Even if it was serviced by S. Sank, so what? how much is it? $125 a mic plus shipping?
The mics are not in a perfect cosmetic condition, one of them is missing badge, so they are not really even collector items.
I feel sorry for the buyer...

My main problem with Lustraphone is a quite narrow ribbon. As Roddy has noticed, it has a high resistance and besides, ratio of width/gap is so small that losses will be inevitable.
Those sound pretty dull.

That's the sort of lying ass bullshit that pisses me off. gives the rest of us selling real stuff a bad name through ebay association. dickhead.

Latest posts

Back