Toroidal transformer defective or did I blow it up?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therecordingart

I tried powering up my new JLM power supply, but I'm not getting any voltage from the transformer itself. I'm getting power into the IEC receptacle, but nothing through the transformer.

There wasn't any smoke or heat coming from the transformer on the initial power up. Maybe I blew it up? Maybe it was shipped defective? Is it possible to blow up the transformer if I had any mistakes on the power supply?

I'm using an Amveco 62064 and tied together yellow+red and black+violet which goes to the IEC. I tied red+brown together for 0v leaving blue and green as my two power leads. According to Amveco that is correct.

BAH!

I've only wired up 4 x toroids from 2 x different companies, but that looks
reversed the way you describe it !
All mine are :
Primary from IEC socket Blue / Brown with grey&violet tied off ( 240v BTW )

Secondary to PSU Yellow and Black are V+ and orange&red tied to 0v

Could just be "colour coding" differences though !
Mains power from Primary are obviously thicker wires also.
marty.

I have received two DOA Amvecos in the past... maybe out of 15 or so.

I use Avel Lindberg now... never received one DOA and they come with mounting hardware. And it is always a plus to be able to order directly from the manufacturer.

Maybe a dumb question - but did you check to see if you blew a fuse on power-up? (Or forget to put the fuse in the IEC - if it's the type with an integrated fuse?)

I use a suicide plug for testing questionable transformers. A two prong AC cord with alligator clips. This eliminates all variables. Also check the resistance of the primary. Some transformers have a thermal fuse, if you can get to it, you can bypass it.

Latest posts

Back