DiY Pre with SPDIF out?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ

Are there any mic pre kits with spdif outs available? How complicated would it be to add this feature to a pre without digi outs?

[quote author="SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ"]Are there any mic pre kits with spdif outs available? How complicated would it be to add this feature to a pre without digi outs?[/quote]

I saw mics for sale with USB output.

[quote author="SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ"]Are there any mic pre kits with spdif outs available? How complicated would it be to add this feature to a pre without digi outs?[/quote]

I am wondering why would you want it?
Get a pre and get a converter (for sure it will have a SPDIF) and then you can upgrade either at your leasure.

Well, the advante would be that you could skip a lot of the amplication at the preamp and the attenuation at the converter input. There's more about this at JLM's forum.

Thanks for that link. It looks interesting.

I'll check out the JLM forum as well.

[quote author="Marik"]I am wondering why would you want it?
Get a pre and get a converter (for sure it will have a SPDIF) and then you can upgrade either at your leasure.[/quote]

Well, I am using a Firebox firewire interface. There are four analog ins (which I use a couple external pres with), and two digi ins via SPDIF. I was considering a dual channel Aphex pre with SPDIF outs so I could record with 6ins instead of 4. I thought I may be able to get something of better quality for a similar price if I DiY. Of course, this project wouldn't be my first, but I'm just looking ahead.

I'm about to start my first builds (a few stomp boxes before tackling some pre kits). I want to give myself some goals for the year. This may be too complicated for me though. I just wanted to know if anything was available so I could hold off on buying the Aphex. I had wondered if it may just be better to build a couple analog pres, then build a separate ADC to use with any pre.

Latest posts

Back