Dents in a U87

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BYacey

Where dogs wear thermal underwear, Alberta, Canada
A good friend of mine passed away and I ended up with his U87. For reasons unbeknownst to me, there are some small dings and a short, shallow crease in the mike cover barrel. Being soft aluminum I was going to try and work out some of these dings using something like a steel ball welded to the end of a rod, and clamping it in a vise. Anyone have any better ideas? There are also a couple of small dents in the widscreen, but these should be easy enough to work out.

What I did with a few 87 bodies was to use a wood dowel. I placed a thin towel on a flat table and rolled the removed body with the Dowel inside the body. You need to remember the badge is still on the body tube.

For the grill dents I shaped a piece of wood and worked the dents out from inside the removed grill pushing against a surface.

I don't know if this is a good way to fix dents but the bodies and grills I did this to were in bad shape

I would also use shaped pieces of wood as the tool. Steel would be to hard and make more damage than repair.

Or leave it alone and enjoy the mic left to you from your friend..

Take your time, do it right... SOS band..

Latest posts

Back