TC Gold Channel preamp mod

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bof

A question from a totally ignorant newbie here:

I have a TC Electronic Gold Channel dual mic pre. The digital processing is good as is the AD/DA but the analog side (preamps) leave something to be desired.

Would it be worth (somebody) taking a soldering iron to it to upgrade the preamp circuitry?

If it is feasible, who would be able to perform the surgery required?

Many thanks

I was sitting in with TC at the design phase of that unit - and did a lot of early beta testing.

Basically, the idea with the unit is to achieve the best of specs "on paper" - any alternative, no matter how good sounding, was excluded from start.

Imo, upgrading the analogue section will take a lot more than just the simple swapping of opamps.

Jakob E.

[quote author="gyraf"]...
Basically, the idea with the unit is to achieve the best of specs "on paper" - any alternative, no matter how good sounding, was excluded from start.

Jakob E.[/quote]

:shock: great target TC !

one of the reasons a few friends ask me to built them something is mainly because they like the sound of my stuff, I never cared about those 0,00000xxx number at all. If the ear likes it, it is right :wink:
Same with iron :green: , if you like what you hear, the brand is less important :green: :green:

Is the goldchannel modable with a Lundahl Jakob?

I think most people don't notice a difference until it is in the
single digit range [ 2 or 3 ] % , certainly the difference between
.001 and . 01 is still quite small by a factor
Gee they could have put a switchable xfmr , but i'm a lundahl from
using the 1538lx .

Btw , how a higher ratio input was not used on the g9 ?

One possible alternative would be to buy a good pair of mic pre's and run them into the TC.

Would switching the inputs to 'Line' bypass the internal pre's and take me straight to the AD?

The signal flow diagram is here http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/GoldCH_US_113.pdf on page 11 if it's any help.

Many thanks for helping me out folks.

a better possible alternative would be to built a good pair of mic pre's and run them into the TC :green:

By going line in, you avoid the circuitry (and pad) related to the mic input. One gain step before you hit the AD-stage.

[quote author="gyraf"]I was sitting in with TC at the design phase of that unit - and did a lot of early beta testing.

Imo, upgrading the analogue section will take a lot more than just the simple swapping of opamps.

Jakob E.[/quote]

ha-ha.. :green: It never ever fails to amaze the hell out of me..how most "designers" are after numbers in audio design..when on earth will some of them stop and start to listen???

Kind regards

Peter

Latest posts

Back