Where to find the big hollow ceramic resistors in US?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

Well I finally dropped and broke my ceramic 8 ohm resistor. I know I used to see them-I thought at Mouser. Anybody know where to get the big ol' resistors for tube amp dummy loads?
Thanks!
Joel

Apex surplus,
5 ohm,
225 watts,
Ohmite #0900A
L225J5RO

They have several of these.
I've kept my eye open at Apex for some 8 ohm non-inductive/ hi-wattage types.....not seen any.
But maybe I'll go there tomorrow and look closer.

Parallel 16/16 ohms, or 40/10...for 8 ohms.

http://www.ohmite.com/catalog/pdf/catalog101.pdf

I've been meaning to build a big'ol load box, but....

Somewhere in another forum, guys were bragging about the size of their loads.... :roll:
One of them bought heating coils at the hardware store, and somehow kept them cool by submerging them in water....??

The big Dale aluminum ribbed resistors to look for start with "NH" (non-inductive).

Well, I looked today. And I did not have much luck. I think the 8 ohms are the most sought after.
I was able to scrounge up some Dale NH types, 2@ 6.3 ohm in series, paralleled with a single 20 ohm....which gives me 8 ohms...lucky, because of being slightly off-tolerance.
(total labeled wattage for all three resistors is 450 watts).....and if I remember the calculation for current through paralleled resistors...is... P = V² / R (?)

They do have plenty of 6 ohm ceramic tubes 250 watt....standard/inductive. Also 60 watt 12's and 24's.

There is also this ready to buy:
dummy load

=FB=

I used to get a bunch of the imported ceramic type from mcminone.com. They were dirt cheap if I remember right and they had the non-inductive bifilar winding-- 100 watt ceramic --- they will break if you drop 'em on a hard floor. They also had the matching metal clip screw down stand-offs for 'em for cheap. :wink:

gb

Latest posts

Back