Envelope detector (many points)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phazinhead

Hello everybody,

I'm looking for long time for a simple and complete envelope detector. I give you the detail : I would like to make an envelope follower stage so as to control the cutoff frequency of a filter. I'm looking for an envelope follower that could have attack and decay time setting, and I don't find any schematic or PCB at all ! (or maybe I search badly, but I saw hundreds of schematics without finding what I'm looking for :mad: lol)
I'm not very skilled in electronic, but I know I can make a simple peak detector with a diode, resistor and a cap, or a full wave rectifier with op-amp also.. but I never find something with attack and rekase time control.
I also looked to the THAT RMS detector chips, and in that way I searched for a peak envelope detector IC .. but I found nothing.
So, I'm wondering if I misundestood something... maybe this is not realisable.. ?
Do you have any idea or simple design for that kind of envelope generator (I could try to do it on a veroboard) , or if you have a PCB schematic :grin:

Thank a lot for your help :thumb:

Hello Pete

thanks for the link, but I already wondered to buy this module in the past ! I decided to not buy it because I wanted to do something easy and to do it by myself so as to improve my skills.. I mean, buying a kit is maybe easier and safer for me.. but this will just make me solder some components and don't really make me understand how it works and how to design it. Which is interesting with the Oakley E.F is to have a little lag inside and the exponential or linear enveloppe... but there are no attack and release control :? .
Concerning the filtrex it could be a very nice project too, but in fact I'm already making my own project, which consist of a rack with 3 filters (Moog, MS20 and CEM3389 chip) and 3 distortions (Big Muff, Fuzz Factoery and MXR distorsion+). The aim is to have a kind of "swiss-army effect box" (lol) inside a rack as small as possible and cheapest as possible.
I just wanted to know more about enveloppe follower because I would like to add one in the rack so as so to control each filter.
So, buying another kit is not the optimal solution for me as you can understand :? , but thanks for the idea :thumb:

Hello StephenGiles !

thank a lot for the schematic.. but I'm not shure to understand it correctly.. I see some control for decay time, another one called sweep time (= attack time ?) but I don't understand where is the input of the system.. and what is the part of the circuit I should use to design en enveloppe follower. Thank a lot for your advice :thumb:

[EDIT] :

I've searched once again in google to see what I could find in typing different things about enveloppe follower (what I've already done twenty times lol) and I found this ! :

http://members.tripod.com/urekarm/synth/fuzzyballs1.pdf

in the lower part of the schematic is an enveloppe follower with attack and decay !!! and it had aslo a band selection, which I also wanted to add :razz: :grin: so .. I'm thinking of using this... do you see any problem or special adaptation to do ?

I've also found this but I'm not shure it can be used for sound.. seems to be used for CV control only :

http://www.wiseguysynth.com/larry/schematics/Morph-Lag/Morph-Lag.gif

http://www.charlielamm.com/synth/miniar84K.pdf

what do you think about it ?

Latest posts

Back