1176 VU Meter Substitution Question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pstcho said:
also in By pass it doesnt show any movement
to finish it shows a very very little motion while in VU position when the input is extremely loud

It sims that your vu meter doesn't have built in a rectifier, so it can't show AC signal. You can check it easily using a DMM in diode test mode;  if needle deflect to right regardless how you connect a DMM, it has a rectifier. If the needle goes to the left  or to the right depending of the test DC signal polarity from DMM, it doesn't have a rectifier.
If that's the case you need to add a rectifier ( you can find the schematic on www, two or four GE or low drop SI diodes will do). 

i unsoldered everything on the pcb of the switch, applied soldering wire all over the traces,  replaced my nomrla diode bridge byt another one i made out of 1n4148 ( i saw that on a forum dont know if it really made a difference  )replaced the lorlin and GR worked perfectly

i replaced the 3.6K resistor on this board with a trimmer 2K and managed to calibrate the VU perfectly also

still nothing coming out of the BY pass position

i checked on the schematics and saw there's a 8.2K resistor missing ( or i couldn't find it ), i saw on the super thread that Jacob said some components are useless ( i guess this one is part of those )

anyway its not very important to have a meter for the bypass position, but i am really wondering what could have been wrong

Back