Suggestions for salvaging components?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathun

Other than the obvious places you could salvage components (like old rack and audio gear), are there any places where you can easily get components that might be used in a diy audio project? (old tv's, old computer psu........?) Thanks for any comments.

ripping old gear can be cool... i wouldn't say no to some DBX202's!
i'm not sure if i would like capacitors from an old tv in my diypreamps dough.

one of the reasons i like to build gear myself is that even when you buy top components it still is way cheeper then buying the commercial available equivalent.
and the knowledge you gain when you build something yourself is unpayable. in the last 15 years i managed to "save" many sessions in the studio just by not being scared to open a box and to apply some solder or so, varying from amps, pedals, power suplies to synths, gtrs and fx, no to forget cables

tdB

Old Tektronics scopes contain a load of stuff if you run into one.
The ceramic terminal strips are especially cool.

You will find killer transfomers in unexpected places.
Altec 150C comes to mind.

True, but I consider it a crime to cannibalize an old Tektronix tube scope unless it's beyond reasonable repair. Those scopes are truly works of art. I own two (an RM35A and a 543B) that are as old as I am, and they still work beautifully. On the other hand, I have a third one (a 531? I don't remember) with a bad CRT and serious power supply problems, and I would have no problem with stripping that for parts.

[quote author="nathun"]old tv's[/quote]
I have a lot of parts from old TVs - I don't know how useful they are though. But a friend of mine thought it was fun to strip old TV chassis for parts...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Very Freudian...

Jenrick using the terms "Transformer" and "Killer" in the same sentence.

Back on-topic: I tend to buy old cases rather than components... often I stumble into great 'finds' in them, but most commonly the components are not to be trusted unless they're rare IC's or something like an unexpected T4!

Keith

Back