loading old logic sessions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLM

hi! just wondering if theres any chance anybody here could help me out with a logic exs related problem. i have to mix down a track a client did 4 years ago with an os9 - logic 4.1 - digi001 setup. My setup at the moment is OSX - logic 7.1 - digi002. everything loads ok apart from the exs instruments, which are crossed out and inaccessible due to the digi001 using direct IO and not coreaudio. I still have the sampler instruments backed up somewhere, but no way of knowing which instruments i actually used (cos the titles are crossed out). does anyone know a way to find this out, or convert the session into coreaudio so that the instruments remain accessible? thanks in advance for any help im totally out of ideas!

I always tag the tracks with the instruments name and alway bounce to audio raw just in case something like that happens. Someone may know a better way but if you are totally sol you can try to recall from memory what instruments where used as best you can then look at each tracks score or midi information.
It looks like you will need to break out the old sample instruments to bounce but you can get a ruff idea what was being used by seeing where each tracks notes fall on the matrix edit keyboard or score. For example, cello in the lower register, violin in the higher, etc.
When you have found them or something close bounce them to audio and import.

[quote author="abby normal"]I always tag the tracks with the instruments name and alway bounce to audio raw just in case something like that happens. Someone may know a better way but if you are totally sol you can try to recall from memory what instruments where used as best you can then look at each tracks score or midi information.
It looks like you will need to break out the old sample instruments to bounce but you can get a ruff idea what was being used by seeing where each tracks notes fall on the matrix edit keyboard or score. For example, cello in the lower register, violin in the higher, etc.
When you have found them or something close bounce them to audio and import.[/quote]

Yes, I have many projects from the OS9 days. I have found it best not just to bounce each track to audio for import to the new Logic or whatever arrange software, but to turn off all EQs and Compressors (and to some degree FX) on those track channels. The EQs/Compressors of the newer generation of Logic and 3rd party will help you render, your ears willing, a much more accurate sound. in my opinion.. which is subject to change.
I am not here. I did say this. Back to my cave to regrow braincells now..

:sam:

That's a tough one, my own "solution" was to keep my old G4 on OS-9 which
still works a treat !!
Have only had to go back to it twice in the last three years.
( those drives are going to fail any minute !! )
These days it all gets bounced to audio with a descriptive title.
Any chance to get to a friend with an OS-9 machine ?? then read off the
instruments.

MM.

[quote author="MartyMart"]That's a tough one, my own "solution" was to keep my old G4 on OS-9 which
still works a treat !!
Have only had to go back to it twice in the last three years.
( those drives are going to fail any minute !! )
These days it all gets bounced to audio with a descriptive title.
Any chance to get to a friend with an OS-9 machine ?? then read off the
instruments.

MM.[/quote]

yes i have kept my G4 w/ OS9 as well. So many software instruments from back then don't work right now. It's in storage right now though...
bounce those MIDI instrument channels!! : ))

Thanks loads for the input - wish i'd kept the old G4 to be honest!! However, managed to get round the problem in the end, details below in case it helps anybody else -

go to audio configuration, press apple-A (selects all plug ins etc), press apple-C, then go to devices and change to your current soundcard, eg from original device (asio etc) to new device (core audio), then press apple-V, should paste all plug-ins, instruments etc into the new audio card setup. It didnt work at first for me, so I had to deselect "universal track mode", i think this was because i was converting from a DIGI-001, any other soundcard should just convert straight away.

Thanks again, hope this helps someone else!

[quote author="MLM"]Thanks loads for the input - wish i'd kept the old G4 to be honest!! However, managed to get round the problem in the end, details below in case it helps anybody else -

go to audio configuration, press apple-A (selects all plug ins etc), press apple-C, then go to devices and change to your current soundcard, eg from original device (asio etc) to new device (core audio), then press apple-V, should paste all plug-ins, instruments etc into the new audio card setup. It didnt work at first for me, so I had to deselect "universal track mode", i think this was because i was converting from a DIGI-001, any other soundcard should just convert straight away.

Thanks again, hope this helps someone else![/quote]

Yes indeed good advice, the "Universal track mode" can mess up audio greatly with imported arranges even between OS9 to OS9 Logic.

Of course loading the arrange into the new Logic will take/convert only Logic instruments and settings; which is why I elect to bounce to audio every track and re-EQ.

Many ways to cut the pie in Logic though, as in UNIX and life.

Find your way.

Best,
Jay

[quote author="MLM"]Thanks loads for the input - wish i'd kept the old G4 to be honest!! [/quote]

I've seen them go for £65 on Ebay !!!!
That was G4 933mhz just like mine !

MM.

Latest posts

Back