Need a host for your pics?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twin-x

Well since i see it very often here i have provided the space and bandwidth for groupdiy.

http://groupdiy.twin-x.com/index.php

Register (no strings attached it just to make sure the system does not get abused)

You can upload pictures and files up to 2 MB
maximum picture size is 2048X2048
Movie size is 400

I don't mind hotlinking to this site. Hotlinking to other sites will be banned on domain level. I really want this service for groupdiy board only.

It's new to me as to you so erm try it out and for any questions mail or pm me.

Enjoy the service.

I'm not the mod here but it seems like a honourable offer.

I suggest you communicate with the admin here and organise a method and some rules to suit both and all.

Can a text or info file go with each picture so people can have a credit or add special info related to the picture.

I see we already have CJ's picture with the cross link to vacuumbrain.
this is good
Can the descriptor be amended if needed ?

should there be a password for groupdiy/lab members to enter ?
This is more about protecting members than making it hard for non members.

Copper mine is just the name of the online software ????

what happens when you get LOTS of pictures ?
How will things look and get sorted ?

I haven't registered ... cos ... I don't need to ??
will this affect the ability to view .... ? doesn't look like it so far.
I think the forum will be able to insert these images.
ps.
ALL my picture will remain on my sites and in my control.
In the future some of my pictures on the net will get deleted and moved to my servers.

> i have provided the space and bandwidth

Although I have a handy host, I know others here don't, and I'm brave/skilled/foolish enough to rush in and test the waters.

It works fine. Server-speed is excellent.

The user interface makes you go around in circles: creating an album, uploading a picture, adding comments. For "our" use, it should auto-generate one album per person; I bet it was made for group use (everybody at a wedding, for instance).

Or should we all put pictures in one album? (That was not clear.)

The picture page shows a URL to link to the upload: this links to a page, not the naked image. I ended up right-clicking on the image and getting the URL there, so I could host my avatar (mostly as a lightweight test) via this forum's Profile tool. There may be another way to see the naked-image URL.

> Can a text or info file go with each picture

Yes: "Tori the Corgi" "Picture of the late Tori Corgi." It does also allow you to upload a .TXT file, and will display it in the browser (not the best way to read TXT). Any description can have a URL link to anywhere else, including another file on that album, so an image's description can be a link to an essay. (It also lets you "crop and rotate" a text file; not sure what that is about.... probably just an oversight.)

Today it would not take a GIF file (I tried two), claiming they were "Not a GD extension". This may be a bug, or it may be political (the alleged owners of the GIF format tried to collect royalties; I think the GD graphics toolkit developer refuses to play their game).

> Can the descriptor be amended if needed ?

Yes: "Edit description". (I assume you must be logged-in as the uploader or admin.)

It also seems to be possible for strangers to add "Comments".

> Copper mine is just the name of the online software ????

Similar to the "phpBB" tag on this forum's pages, it is a PHP or Perl script that generates the pages and stores the data. Just that CopperMine is intended for images in albums, not messages in forums. Not a whale of a lot of difference at some level. I bet Twin-x can edit that logo to a Group-DIY logo or Twin-x's smiling face, whatever; same as Ethan edited the default phpBB logo to his employer's logo. While CopperMine may ask for a link in return for use of their software, the link at the bottom is probably fine. They know the user's logo goes up top.

> what happens when you get LOTS of pictures ?

If everybody posted every DIY-ish image they found, Twin-x would run out of space.

But in fact there are only about a dozen of us active and creative enough to do a lot of uploading. And some of us have hosts. Say 10 folks keep 10 Megs each: 100 Megs, worth about $0.20 at today's drive prices. Even if 5 folks stash 100 Megs each, Twin-x is looking at about $1.00 worth of space. His true costs are higher: connection costs, PC costs, electric bill. But while generous, it isn't a fabulous expense.

> How will things look and get sorted?

I'm not sure. I thought the main idea was to host hot-linked images inside messages. Twin-x specifically mentions that, and it is something not allowed by many other free/cheap hosting services (because they need to show ads). The "Album" thing is nice: it appears I could keep all my forum-related files together under my name. Each file has a Title, Description, and Keywords. Search instantly found all (one) files about "Tori". I assume that even if there were 20,000 files and you searched for "API", it would return the API keyword files in a jiffy, just as this forum finds messages with keywords. (Assuming, of course, that people actually put decent descriptions on files.)

Great initiative, Twin-X!

We really needed something like that to be able to illustrate our discussions!

:thumb:

Would it be possible for that software to allow for .PDF-files as well? That would often come in handy for people like us, I think..

Jakob E.

Hi all,

I will awnser everyones question in a short time.
For now i am still struggling with the software to make it appropriate for the groupdiy need.

First i have altered the logo.
Second i added a diffrent view i think its better than the pic view.

http://groupdiy.twin-x.com/photoindex.php let me know if you like it or not.

To gyraf yes you can upload pdf. But it may not exeed the 2mb :( my host does not wish to alter the php upload size 2 mb is the max.

You can always split it up with winrar or zip.

I have 3 GB webspace available for this and 30 GB bandwitdh. We will see how popular things get.

[quote author="Twin-x"]I have 3 GB webspace available for this and 30 GB bandwitdh.[/quote]
30GB a day? a month? a year?

The old 486SX webserver in my workshop often transfers about 10-15GB a month...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

[quote author="mcs"][quote author="Twin-x"]I have 3 GB webspace available for this and 30 GB bandwitdh.[/quote]
30GB a day? a month? a year?

The old 486SX webserver in my workshop often transfers about 10-15GB a month...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen[/quote]
A month. I can go to 35 -50 without extra cost.

[quote author="Kev"]I'm not the mod here but it seems like a honourable offer.

I suggest you communicate with the admin here and organise a method and some rules to suit both and all.[/quote]
I can try that :D

Can a text or info file go with each picture so people can have a credit or add special info related to the picture.
If you upload a file you can give it a name. Add comment and add keywords for easy searching.

Code:
I see we already have CJ's picture with the cross link to vacuumbrain.
this is good
Can the descriptor be amended if needed ?

Sorry i am not a native english what do you mean by descriptor amended?

should there be a password for groupdiy/lab members to enter ?
This is more about protecting members than making it hard for non members.

picture albums tend to be abused. Everyone willing to upload must register. You can view anonymous

Code:
Copper mine is just the name of the online software ????

Yes i adjusted the logo.
Anyone got a better banner and i will place it.

what happens when you get LOTS of pictures ?
How will things look and get sorted ?
If i get lots of pictures than thats nice. Than my goal is reaced ;)
No if it gets over done i will ask if someone is willing to take it over from me.

The look and sorting is discussable. I am not a programmer but i can always look for adjustment scripts.

I haven't registered ... cos ... I don't need to ??
will this affect the ability to view .... ? doesn't look like it so far.
I think the forum will be able to insert these images.
Only if you wish to upload images or files

ps.
ALL my picture will remain on my sites and in my control.
In the future some of my pictures on the net will get deleted and moved to my servers.

This is more for people who cannot or do not have the webspace.
I preffer people host it on thier site. Only i like it more for people to upload things to a central space without bad banner and limitations.

Friday the 13th my webhost's server that hosted my site crashed due to a hardware failure.

The array controller got trashed and messed up the drives.
Since i was not part of the backup everything got lost. The only thing that they got recoverd was the midibox.org website wich i also host.

All pictures schematics etc uploaded (approx 600MB) is lost :(

I feel real shitty about this. Since the forum is now overwhelmed with broken links.

I can set it up again (the website) but i tend to have the feeling people lost faith in me.

Tell me if i should set it up or if i should not bother.

There is no chance the data can be put back i have had hours of conversation with my provider.

Sorry for the inconvience.

Hi Twin,

I'm sorry for your loss - but that sort of things will just happen, no way around that. And I'm sure that everyone around here knows that hosting like that is not permanent, and has copies of everything - or at least the important stuff. Yes, the broken links will be a bit annoying, but that's internet for ya': it's a dynamical thing.

I have always been very gratefull for the service you have provided for this forum - one picture says more than thousand words.

I do hope that you will set up the image server again - it has been such a great service for people around here - and the occational crash dosen't change that...

Jakob E.

I walked on eggshells through last friday. I was doing fixing on MTR-90 audio boards and kept re-checking myself to make sure I would not get jinxed. The garlic necklace helped too!

All the ? avatars everywhere show what a companion your site is to these foura. I think there will be some new avatars and docs coming through soon!

Thank you for the hosting. I learned how to store and link pictures thanks to you.
I appreciate it.
Mike

Latest posts

Back