D-AOC PCBs - the building and help Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any builders in the states yet? The WIMA's aren't the easiest thing to find stateside. Do you guys think the Sprague Orange Drops would work in this capacity? :wink:

TubeDepot has the Solen Fast caps and all things tube.
http://www.tubedepot.com/solen.html
http://www.tubedepot.com/tubesockets.html

All the polarized caps seem like they'll be easy enough to find.

I will have to learn what is where available :oops:
but you don't have to use Wimas, Orange Drops will work fine
(but check if they fit the spacing)

75 PCBs of 105 paid PCBs are already shipped, the rest will follow the next 2 days. you should have the PCB soon.

I'm in the middle of doing some parts-ordering and now i'm thinking about the trafo's to go for Edcor, they seem to be pretty cheap and decent.
The only thing i'm thinking about is the type, i think the Edcor XSM10K/600 is ok for the inputs but is that one also OK to use on the outputs or should i use different ones for that?
Or do you think it's a better idea to go for different trannies?
I do like the Lundahls but they are a lot more expensive and i'd like to try something else for a chance.

Maybe it's a good idea to make a list of good trannies that will fit the D-AOC with prices and where to order, i think that will help all of us.
Anyone?

[quote author="dagoose"]Maybe it's a good idea to make a list of good trannies that will fit the D-AOC with prices and where to order, i think that will help all of us.[/quote]Yes, do it :thumb:
please don't forget: this is a DIY project.

Anyone have news on that "elusive" power transformer, I did look at the
German site and did not find it ?
Seems like we're going to need about 200 of 'em !!!
Oh, have not found the HUGE 10uf's in the UK either.

MM.

I found one that has these specifications: Primary 2x 115V, secondary 250V 0,1A, 9V 2,5A and 24V 0,1A.

Is that the correct one?
/J

[quote author="MartyMart"]
Oh, have not found the HUGE 10uf's in the UK either.

MM.[/quote]

Marty,

These look the same in spec despite the picture looking different.

Doubt it would work out much cheaper ordering them from Germany even though the euro prce is pretty much the same as the sterling price cos the € is so strong at the mo though...

http://www.mercasystems.com/s/index.php?target=products&product_id=55304637&currency=gbp

EDIT:

A further quick search has brought up these - with shipping at only $6.95 it makes it well worth ordering them from the US as long as customs charges are avoided. I'll certainly get some in if anyone in the UK wants to group buy...

http://www.tubedepot.com/cp-so-1000-630v.html

Thanks chaps, ordered the traffo/Solen Fast caps and the PCB mount
noval sockets/tubes.
Came to 103 Euro's inc shipping, which seems quite reasonable.

Marty.

Hi All,

just a quick post as its 01:00am and i got to get up mega early,

but i built mine today!! passes audio superbly but it does not want to compress yet, i have probably over looked something, too late to look now..

but on the rightmark analyzer it specs are amazing, 100dB noise floor, I used all edcors , freq response is -.5dB at 20Khz and -2dB at 40kz!!! pretty good in my book..

what on earth i could of done wrong to make not compress i dont know, its pretty straight forward.

Pete

Yes, that transformer was what i found aswell. Sorry i forgot to post the link, im glad things sorted out fine anyway!
/J

[quote author="MikoKensington"]The WIMA's aren't the easiest thing to find stateside.[/quote]

mouser.com caries Wimas, and Solens can be had from various places including tubesandmore.com

Anyone have any luck with a US source for the power transformer?

[quote author="MartyMart"]Anyone have news on that "elusive" power transformer
MM.[/quote]
I can get custom power transformers wound here in Malaysia, have made quite a few for tube guitar amps and a Pultec. For tube rack gear I think they would cost less than Euro20 or less than US33 for one unit, quantities might be even cheaper.

Shipping could be a problem as they are quite weighty, but if there was a group order from the US or UK etc, then we could ship multiple units and someone there then distribute.

Let me know if interested and also transformer specs, so I can get it quoted.

Michael

[quote author="sinestaraudio"]what on earth i could of done wrong to make not compress i dont know, its pretty straight forward.[/quote]
Pete, with no mod you need a very high input level to get compression.
Put a red or blue LED parallel to the Vactrol LED and you are fine.

Good morning Volker,

In my haste last night i forgot to thank you for what you and the all the guys invovled have done, superb effort.

So, Ok, I will try that tongight,

I forgot to mention, feeding it with 1Khz test tone, that when you turn the compression knob, looking at the output with a spectrum analyser, as you increase the compression you gain slight distortion, where the upper harmonics are rasied, but the output level does not change.

no matter how high i drove the input, the output level did not drop when compression knob was turned.

Also I am using 1ma meters which adjusting with the meter trim can only just get off the floor, I am wondering if this might be a clue to whats happening in the GR circuit.

above problems apply to both sides so must be either a common mistake (by me) or as you say i need to lower the threshold with the Mod, which is more likely the case and the meter problem is most likely another issue all togheter.

Best
Pete

Back