D-AOC PCBs - the building and help Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of neon lamp are you talking about? Any chance of a part number somwhere so i have a reference?

Im not even sure what these will do? I must have missed this in the thread somehow im guessing. If someone could fill me in real quick, id be happy!

And to you who has completed the build with edcor transformers im wondering which edcors you ended up with?

Thanks!
/J

Hi All,

Yes Volker you were right, put the led in and it compressed just lovely!

works and sounds incredible...just as nice as my LA2a if not nicer, faster attack / release times is what i'm liking.

ill post pictures tomorrow.

ZZZzzz

[quote author="sinestaraudio"]works and sounds incredible...just as nice as my LA2a if not nicer, faster attack / release times is what i'm liking[/quote]
first price for the fastest build I guess :thumb:

:green: now the pics please :green:

Volker, just wanted to say that the boards are laid out beautifully !
It would be almost impossible to "screw up" so long as you check component
value and polarity ..... a breeze :)
Good spacing and traces in all the right places, I'm sure this will be quiet as
a mouse in operation.

Just waiting on some parts from Musikding and the Tat case, it's really a work
of art ..... Great job :sam: :sam:

Marty.

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]INPUT TRANSFORMERS

today I opened up my box of transformers, and took some of them out where I thought they could fit in this circuit.

from left to right:
Edcor XSM10K/10K, Edcor WSM10K/10K, Lundahl LL1540, Haufe RK310-2, Haufe RK255-1, Haufe RK240, API 2621, Neve T.1442 (= 31267)

(all at 1:1, except Haufe RK240 which is 1:2)[/quote]

i have a question regarding the haufe rk255/1.

-does the red dot, mark the pin 1?
-how did you wire it?

thanks a lot!

[quote author="MikoKensington"]I think I'll contact Edcor tomorrow about the power transformer.[/quote]

What's the word on these? Any chance of a US group buy?

[quote author="Denyle Guitars"][quote author="MikoKensington"]I think I'll contact Edcor tomorrow about the power transformer.[/quote]

What's the word on these? Any chance of a US group buy?[/quote]

Well, before a group buy can take place, I think we all need to agree on what the 3rd secondaries ( :? ) should be in terms of voltage and current.

220V 0.1A
9V 2.5A
? ?

Anyone like to chime in?

Well,
Pri 2x 115 (230V), sek1 250V 0,1A, sek2 9V 2,5A and sek3 24V 0,5A seems to be a good choice. With these specs you have to use 24V relays in the D-AOC. 24V can easily be adapted to provide phantom power via voltage doubler for mic pres or for meter and pilot lamps. Such a power transformer is quite useful for other tube projects, too.
regards
Bernd

Well, I'll get a quote from Edcor then. The price of the Musikding transformer with shipping to the U.S. is around $70. We'll see if Edcor can beat that. :wink:

OK. I got a reply from Edcor about the custom power transformers. They will be a about $46 each. Plus the one-time $20 setup charge. I will buy the first one to get things rolling. I'm waiting to hear about a price break, too. I asked that the leads be made nice and long for those that may wish to mount the transformer outside of the case rear.

Here is what the basic dimensions will be.
http://www.audiotransformers.net/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item277

The differences are, ours will be vertical mount without the "L" brackets and they will have end bells like the Edcor Class X transformers.

U.S. guys let me know if you're interested.

I'm trying to get a parts order together and I'm having trouble finding a few things in the USA.
I can't find any 39K 2w resistors or 1N5371 diodes. I checked both Mouser and Digikey as thats where I plan to buy most of the other parts from. Anyone know where to get them in the USA?

I've almost got a BOM done if anyone wants to try it out, let me know.

[quote author="jrfred453"]I'm trying to get a parts order together and I'm having trouble finding a few things in the USA.
I can't find any 39K 2w resistors or 1N5371 diodes. I checked both Mouser and Digikey as thats where I plan to buy most of the other parts from. Anyone know where to get them in the USA?

I've almost got a BOM done if anyone wants to try it out, let me know.[/quote]

I haven't had much luck with the 39K either. So I was thinking of using a 33K and a 6.2K in series. Would that work?

The 1N5371 isn't easy to find. Mouser does have some NE2 neon lamps, but I'm not sure which to go with. I'm assuming it's 65V AC but I don't know the current rating we need.

Hi all,

Still work in progress but here are some pics of my almost finished unit, just need to tweak the meter circuit and add the meter lights. Ill probably change the traffo at some point, although their not bad, but Its such a good design it seems a shame to waste good response on a lesser transformer. I'm sure some one knows how to get a better performance out of them than I?

here is a link the the rightmark analyser tests i did that shows freq res, THD etc etc etc...I used all Edcors TX used in Volkers test.

http://www.sinestarproject.com/opto.htm

and this is what it looks like..(not sure why it has made the post so wide! sorry..)

I have put a 5 pos switch "Limit Mode" on board that alters the curves, 1=off, 2=100k 3=blue LED, 4=Red LED 5=Blue LED anti parallel. As you see from Volkers curves each increase results in a tad more compression / limiting. i love the way it sounds, i have tested it on drums so far and im loving it!! I think you all will too..

Pete

opto1.jpg

opto2.jpg

opto3.jpg

optopanel.jpg

gizzards.jpg

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]NE2 is just - perfect :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:[/quote]

But there are a few different suffixes. Like NE2E. Volker, what do you think of this fella?
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=rHu0DOexXLC8qwRiDFto6g%3d%3d

Latest posts

Back