D-AOC PCBs - the building and help Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice project you have made! :thumb:

Now, since i was a bit too slow, i just hope there will be some leftover pcb's for me to grab.. :wink:

Regarding the meters, i don't know this meter circuitry and i don't know what type meter you have.. But if circuit asks for a VU meter (AC) and yours is a normal DC meter, it shure won't work. You'll need a rectifier and perhaps also another driver stage..

[quote author="sinestaraudio"] And Mr Analag, I'm a novice tube circuit designer, if i can ever design some thing as clean as this i'd be happy. I have studied your circuit a lot. Its so simple(or is it!), well the output tube config confuses me a little! :guinness:

I'm really looking fwd to see what and how other people make theirs over the coming months.

Now i better compose some music!

Pete

:grin:[/quote]

Time and practice is all it takes.
It is interesting to see that my comp compares well to the LA2A, after all it started out as a clone of it, but after awhile I decided to tear it down and start again. A few years later I designed another optical comp...the mix buss version.

analag

OK. Who's got part numbers for the molex locking wire to board connectors? I've been looking at both their website and Mouser and my brain is spinning.

Analag, I am really excited to hear what this design sounds like. I also want to thank you for your hard work.

Volker, this layout is just beautiful. It's just tidy and space is well used.

Headers and Connectors
2 Pos with Ramp 538-22-23-2021 (10) $2.16
3 Pos with Ramp 538-22-23-2031 (8) $1.98
2 Pos with Ramp 538-22-01-2027 (10) $1.17
3 Pos with Ramp 538-22-01-2037 (8) $1.14
Crimp Terminals 538-08-50-0114 (58) $5.06
From Mouser

OK, in the middle of ordering stuff, designing frontpanel etc, i will pick up my board at the postoffice today, can't wait! :cool:
I'm thinking of doing the potmeters for input and gain reductionwith elma 24 steps switches (have 2 new ones laying around here) and the output with lorlin 12 steps swicthes.
Anyone else going to do that?

I think for the output only about 12 db of reduction from -12 > 0 db is fine, is it?
About the input, is a 24 steps att really a must or will the 12 steps lorlin do fine? and what db range should i use?
The gainreduction pot, is there a particular range it's working in mostly? so that only a part of the pot range is used? will 12 steps do the job or should i insert the 24 steps there? or should i just order 2/4 more elma's?
Loads of questions/suggestions here.

For the rest... i can't wait to start building! Mine will have nice big sifam meters and a green or red panel :grin:

I also read some posts about the 2W 39K, 214-2162 is the partnumber at RS, i had to order 10 so i have 8 left, so if anyone in the need for some? they are 0.18 each and not hard to send out (regular envelope will do)

Partial Farnell list including the 2 watt 39k here :

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=26585&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120

For some reason the other 2 watt resistors are a touch to big, so won't quite
sit flush on the board, they still fit around the other components, but if that
bothers you, then go for another type.

MM.

[quote author="dagoose"]OK, in the middle of ordering stuff, designing frontpanel etc, i will pick up my board at the postoffice today, can't wait! :cool:
I'm thinking of doing the potmeters for input and gain reductionwith elma 24 steps switches (have 2 new ones laying around here) and the output with lorlin 12 steps swicthes.

I think for the output only about 12 db of reduction from -12 > 0 db is fine, is it?
About the input, is a 24 steps att really a must or will the 12 steps lorlin do fine? and what db range should i use?
The gainreduction pot, is there a particular range it's working in mostly? so that only a part of the pot range is used? will 12 steps do the job or should i insert the 24 steps there? or should i just order 2/4 more elma's?
Loads of questions/suggestions here.

For the rest... i can't wait to start building! Mine will have nice big sifam meters and a green or red panel :grin:

I also read some posts about the 2W 39K, 214-2162 is the partnumber at RS, i had to order 10 so i have 8 left, so if anyone in the need for some? they are 0.18 each and not hard to send out (regular envelope will do)[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. I've still ordered all pots to make a test version and to see how responsive everything is. That way it's easier to determine the resistance you want to cover with your stepped switch.

Would this be the correct Relay for use with the 24v "utility" rail bypass
boards ?

http://uk.farnell.com/9949879/electrical-circuit-protection/product.us0?sku=OMRON-ELECTRONIC-COMPONENTS-G5V-2-HI-24DC

Thanks,
Marty.

BTW- I have some nice "Reed" DPDT relays but they are @ 12v and I suspect that dropping the 24v rail down with an LM7812 would be a little hot!

[quote author="MartyMart"]Would this be the correct Relay for use with the 24v "utility" rail bypass
boards ?

http://uk.farnell.com/9949879/electrical-circuit-protection/product.us0?sku=OMRON-ELECTRONIC-COMPONENTS-G5V-2-HI-24DC

Thanks,
Marty.
[/quote]

Yes

[quote author="MartyMart"]BTW- I have some nice "Reed" DPDT relays but they are @ 12v and I suspect that dropping the 24v rail down with an LM7812 would be a little hot![/quote]

Since you need two relays per board you can power them in series (2 X 12V = 24V).
Do you know what's the difference between a "normall" and a reed relay?

Don't know what you mean, they are Clare LX200D00, Wayne at the Media
tech site told me they were "Reed" and good quality.
I used two of them in the Pico Comp with no problems.
Any board adaptation, or just using 2 x 12v relays will be fine " as is" ?

Thanks,
marty.

[quote author="MartyMart"]Don't know what you mean, they are Clare LX200D00, Wayne at the Media
tech site told me they were "Reed" and good quality.
I used two of them in the Pico Comp with no problems.
[/quote]

No prob. I was just curious what the difference between the two was....

[quote author="MartyMart"]
Any board adaptation, or just using 2 x 12v relays will be fine " as is" ?

Thanks,
marty.[/quote]

Yes, there should be some board adaptation. I don't know the board so you're on your own here...Just power both relays in series.

[quote author="radiance"]
Do you know what's the difference between a "normall" and a reed relay?[/quote]

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/relay.htm#reed

[quote author="dagoose"]
[/quote]

I'm planning on doing that. I'm going to construct it with pots at first so I can play with it and see how it behaves. After I know what I want I will make the rotary switches. I have made attenuators in the past only to find then not right. I have learned my lesson.

[quote author="MartyMart"]Don't know what you mean, they are Clare LX200D00, Any board adaptation, or just using 2 x 12v relays will be fine " as is"[/quote]
this should work:
ClareLX200D00.gif

the green and blue lines are just wires (bottom side will look better)

This raises even more questions from me. Volker, can you post the overlay for the relay boards too?

I'm not sure what's on there and I'd like to order all my stuff from Mouser at one time if I can. Unless someone already threw together a shopping list from Mouser... :wink:

I have a Mouser project saved for the D-AOC but I don't know how to go about posting it. Also Excel sheet with parts from Mouser and the other places with parts Mouser doesn't have. Just didn't add in all the .25w resistors, cause I have those already. Anybody have any thoughts on posting it?

I haven't tried out the parts yet cause the boards haven't gotten to the US of A yet! So you may have to double check everything.

What diodes are on the relay boards? and how many?

[quote author="MikoKensington"]Volker, can you post the overlay for the relay boards too?[/quote]
for the relay board you should use (for each channel):
1 x Neutrik NC3FD-H connector
1 x Neutrik NC3MD-H connector
1 x Molex 2pin connector
2 x Molex 3pin connectors
2 x Omron G5V-2 relays
2 x 1N4148 diodes
HWBP36.gif

I ordered transformers from Edcor today. I alerted them that others would probably be calling. FYI it has the 250V 0.1A and the 9V 2.5A secondaries but not the 24V secondary.

Latest posts

Back