D-AOC PCBs - the building and help Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="ask"]Does anybody know the total build cost of a stereo AOC unit? Tried searching - in vein. :roll:[/quote]

Always a tough one to answer, espacially since most folks here have some parts layin around...
If I remember correctly there is a BOM (bill of materials) for this project with order codes and all. Just order the whole darn thing and add the cost of the pcb, transformers and you're pretty close I guess.

And with order I don't mean actually ordering. Just go until you reach check out so you can see the price :wink:

[quote author="ask"]Does anybody know the total build cost of a stereo AOC unit? Tried searching - in vein. :roll:[/quote]
You can build it cheap or expensive, it is hard to say.
I first wanted to use Panasonic NHG caps, but ended up using cheap "standard" caps - saved me EUR 40,-
the total of my prototype was around EUR 250,- incl. Transformers, Tubes and shipping to me.
the frontpanel is another story ...

[quote author="[silent:arts]"][quote author="MartyMart"]One issue, I don't have a powerful enough iron to get the damm heatsinks
to solder to the board ..... 'cos they are HUGE heatsinks ..... right !![/quote]
one tip :green:
try out the heatsink before soldering to the PCB :wink:
desoldering the heatsink is :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:green:[/quote]

I couldn't get it to take with my little cheap 25w Iron, I'm taking the 350 off
board as you did - if that's what you mean, though I'm struggling to see how
I can use the case as a heatsink "plus" totally isolate the bolt from the case.
Extra nylon washers I guess .... the little special washers with internal "lip"
that work with a normal small heatsink, won't pass through the case wall also.

Perhaps ... but there will be a big "lump" so I'll use the case back instead of
the bottom.
MM.

Tough, as i'm ordering for 2/3 projects at once to save on multiple parts.
Here's a "rough" Idea :
Board and smaller parts ( resistors caps ) that I had  50 euros
All other components on the board  75 euros
Tubes/sockets/power traffo/ 10u caps 100 euros
case 85 euros
switches/knobs/pots/ audio traffo's  130 euros

Total 440 euros ( approx )

MM.

[quote author="MartyMart"][quote author="ask"]Does anybody know the total build cost of a stereo AOC unit? Tried searching - in vein. :roll:[/quote]

Tough, as i'm ordering for 2/3 projects at once to save on multiple parts.
Here's a "rough" Idea :
Board and smaller parts ( resistors caps ) that I had 50 euros
All other components on the board 75 euros
Tubes/sockets/power traffo/ 10u caps 100 euros
case 85 euros
switches/knobs/pots/ audio traffo's 130 euros

Total 355 euros ( approx )

MM.[/quote]

Doesn't that add up to 440 ? Or do you mean 2/3 of 440?

[quote author="ask"]

Doesn't that add up to 440 ? Or do you mean 2/3 of 440?[/quote]

DUH ! sorry missed the case @ 85 !!

Call it a "non case" approximation :)

MM.

[quote author="MartyMart"]I'm struggling to see how I can use the case as a heatsink "plus" totally isolate the bolt from the case.
Extra nylon washers I guess .... the little special washers with internal "lip"
that work with a normal small heatsink, won't pass through the case wall also.[/quote]
one of those special nylon washers is enough. the screw doesn't have to be isolated, only the regulator. the washer goes through the regulator hole, so you are fine.
mounting it at the back of the case isn't a bad idea either. still needs to be isolated of course :green:

[quote author="MartyMart"]DUH ! sorry missed the case @ 85 !![/quote]
the EUR 250,- I paid is also without case, frontpanel, meters and knobs of course.
still the cheapest tube compressor I have build

This may seem like a very silly question; but, is there any reason why I couldn't use a 1n5401 diode in place of the 1N5400? I have a bunch of the 01's and this would be a good time to use them if possible. Thanks

Steve

Oh, is the jury out on input/output transformers yet? Keeping the price down would be a good thing right about now.

[quote author="[silent:arts]"][quote author="MartyMart"]DUH ! sorry missed the case @ 85 !![/quote]
the EUR 250,- I paid is also without case, frontpanel, meters and knobs of course.
still the cheapest tube compressor I have build[/quote]

Absolutely - no complaint from me, just trying to price up for someone's
enquiry :)
MM.

FWIW I'm planning on running them without transformers since the output impedence is about 220 ohms.

I got my boards yesterday. They are a thing of beauty. Thanks Volker!

The heat sinks I ordered fit too!

[quote author="MartyMart"][quote author="[silent:arts]"][quote author="MartyMart"]DUH ! sorry missed the case @ 85 !![/quote]
still the cheapest tube compressor I have build[/quote]

Absolutely - no complaint from me, just trying to price up for someone's
enquiry :)
MM.[/quote]

Thanks guys!! :thumb:

Im cheap, so im wondering if any of these could potentially work ok (im not expecting miracles here) for metering on the D-aoc.

PANEL METER 50µA 60x47
PANEL METER 100µA 70x60

If not, what should i look for?

Thanks for advice!
/Jonas

Jonas,
I tested a 250uA without any modifications in the meter circuit. It worked fine. Check whether they fit on your frontpanel! My advice: buy and try them.
regards
Bernd

Thanks! I cannot find 250uA.

What would the difference be between say a 100uA meter and the 250uA you used in practical use?

I dont know anything at all how these meters work, so be gentle if its a stupid question.

:green:
/J

[quote author="nielsk"]Has anyone come up with a complete BOM for this yet?[/quote]

I think those that are diving into this project are still populating and assembling. So until some testing takes place, I don't think anyone has a "complete" BOM yet. There's enough info in this thread to order just about everything you need to get going though.

Here's a breakdown of where I order all my parts from.

Tube Depot www.tubedepot.com This is where I got my:
2 watt resistors.
Tube Sockets.
Potentiometers
Solen Fast Caps
Diodes

TAW Electronics www.tawelectronics.com This is where I got my:
WIMA MKP4 Caps
MKP4 104J400-6 for the 0.1uf 400v
MKP4 105J400-7 for the 1uf 400v
MKP4 224J400 for the 0.22uf 400v
(thanks to jrfred453 for that)

Small Bear Electronics www.smallbearelec.com This is where to find:
VTL5C4/2 Photocoupler
Diodes

Mouser http://www.mouser.com/ This is where to find:
Just about everything else. See my post on page 15. Some errata. Make sure both trimmer pots are both 3296W. Also, I ordered my heatsinks to mount off board, so the may be too large for the PCB. My order also had some fancy switches that I wanted and some extra TO220 insulators and such. NOTE: the screw insulators are the wrong size too.

EDIT - The heatsinks fit the PCB for the two smaller footprints. I'll need to order a larger one to mount off-board for the other rail.

Radio Shack www.radioshack.com This is where I found:
Diodes
0.1 uF Caps
Nice to just walk in and buy something.

Par-Metal www.par-metal.com Get your:
Rack Case

Edcor www.edcorusa.com The source for:
Audio Transformers - XSM and WSM series.
Custom Power Transformer - XPWR055 (may want to verify the specs are the same when you order it)

Back