D-AOC PCBs - the building and help Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="radiance"][quote author="dagoose"]
OK, time for some double espresso and after that some rewiring.[/quote]

Go easy on that expresso........ :cool:[/quote]

Real Espresso has less caffeine then a regular coffee because of the high pressure, most people think that espresso has way more caffeine then regular coffee. :guinness:

I know what went wrong with the relays:
Usually i use the small finder relays and i know out of my head how to wire those.
I ordered the wrong finders recently, still 12v coil but just a bit bigger and louder clicking of the contacts :green:
There is also another difference.. the centre contact is in the centre instead of on the sides, bypass worked but as soon as i powered it nothing happened..

OK, looks like it's working perfectly! :cool:
Sounds pretty cool, really smooth sounding, not like a pumping compressor but i think it really smoothens the mix.
The only thing i notice right now is that when link is enganged and i send a 1khz tone there is about 5/6 db gain reduction difference between left and right.
When they are not linked it's all fine and both channels are allmost 100% the same in compression.
Is there some kind of way, maybe like in the 1176 link mode to tweak it?

doac3.jpg

doac4.jpg

doac5.jpg

And for those interested a AB switching hardbypass and with DOAC (yep mine is called the DOAC) in 24bit 44.1khz WAV.
http://www.dagoosemusic.nl/temp/doacsound.wav

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]very nice - and your own designed frontpanel. :thumb:
not seen so often these days :green:[/quote]
Thanks!

First i worked with lasertran and i think it worked out pretty cool.
Only thing was that i messed up the layout.. i wanted it to be mirrored but after i finished it i found out i swithed the input and output on one side. :?
This was quite a simple to dril panel so that is why i did it myself this time.

I'm playing with it right now and i really like it, bass is tight and highs are really fresh.
Thanks for this project guys! Have a beer or 2, i'll pay for it! :sam: :sam:

Did some test with RMAA and it has 102,9db dynamic range, THD is at 0.159 right now. Freq response is below, not sure if the high boost is the tubes or trannies but i think it's quite good.
I used edcor XSM trannies.

freq.jpg

[quote author="dagoose"]Only thing was that i messed up the layout.. i wanted it to be mirrored but after i finished it i found out i swithed the input and output on one side. :? [/quote]
good you messed this up :green: :green: :green:
personally I think mirrored is a pain, even if it sometimes looks better.
but in use ...

very nice! top wiring job too.

I'm wondering of those are the same EDCOR Tx's as mine, you seem to have slightly better HF response..

also I get the same level difference as you in link mode, but I hardly ever use compressors in that mode even across the buss so im not so bothered..

Bernd: yours looks awesome too, I wish I lived in Germany so I could have 'Sassenberg, Germany'...now that is a nice touch!

Pete

Just finished my DAOC. Seems like a cool unit although i didn't have time to really listen to it. Just looked if it passes audio and controls doing what they are supposed to do. Meters and knobs are still missing though.

DAOC1.jpg

Thanks to Volker and Analag for making and releasing this project :guinness: :thumb:

Flo

yes - everybody has to do a photo from the front.

than we can rack them up all together in Photoshop to see hundreds of different looking D-AOCs :thumb:

:green: :green: :green:

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]yes - everybody has to do a photo from the front.

than we can rack them up all together in Photoshop to see hundreds of different looking D-AOCs :thumb:

:green: :green: :green:[/quote]

great idea!!

started:

D-AOC_Rack.jpg

still have to order the rack and the screws :green:

dagoose, could you do a straight photo of your front so we can add your D-OAC to the Rack ? :grin: :grin: :grin:

[quote author="Gold"]DaGoose,

How large are the steps on your switches and what level range did you settle on?[/quote]

Right now i used 12 stepped swithes for in and output with about 20db of range, i think that is ok.
I plan to do the compresser pot as a 24 steps switch but i'm not sure what value/range to choose right now, still have to figure that out, anyone?
i really don't need a big range, i probably use the compressor 90% for mastering so tracking is important for me.

BTW, i have one small issue with my beast, the neon lights flicker every couple of seconds, i think all neon lights do that but on the left channel the meter hops about 2mm from side to side when that happens.
The right channel doesn't have that.
I allready tried a different neon light without much result, maybe it's better to use a zener instead of the neon light?

[quote author="dagoose"]I plan to do the compresser pot as a 24 steps switch but i'm not sure what value/range to choose right now, still have to figure that out, anyone?[/quote]

I plan on using 24pos switches for the three controls. I'm a couple of weeks away from getting one up and running and in a case. I would like the threshold range to be from -8 dBu to +12dBu. This would be the most useful range for me.

I know the input pot affects the range of the threshold pot but I don't know whether the output pot does too. I think I need to listen to it and determine how hard I want to drive the output amplifier in regular use. Then adjust the input range around unity gain. Then put an LED in parallel with the opto to make the top of the threshold range about +12dBu. Then figure out the resistor values for the threshold switch. All plans subject to change without notice.

dagoose: thanks for the updatede rack :green:
(am I allowed to use your rack screws ?)

Gold: the output control doesn't affect the threshold control at all.

I was reading over the original threads and saw this:

I use a tube connected exactly as you see in my schematic, you may use a resistor in series with the LED say 120-470 ohms, this will tune the slope of the unit.

Has anyone tried this? It looks like Volker tried a resistor in parallel.

Back