D-AOC PCBs - the building and help Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MartyMart said:
I installed the 1k 25W between secondary 250v rail and the board, it's a metal body wirewound
that bolts to the case.
My voltages all look "spot on" now and the heatsink runs totally cool, the 1k 25W gets about as warm as
a cup of coffee - so touchable, it's directly on the side of the case so has a HUGE heatsink.
I think this will all run cool and happy from now on.
I bought a few more as the Dual LA2a / PM670 have "european" traffo's expecting 220v an I'm at 249v here !!
heatsink runs cool  :) :) :)
249V : where are you living Marty ????

We've got a more stable mains here in France... The studio is at the end of the mains line and the voltage is 230 during cold days and 235 normal days... My home is at a perfect 240V anytime... French mains are from 230V up to 240V... The weird thing is to have 249V !!!
On the other end, mains are nuclear powered here... I can't say it's really cool !!!

A couple of photo's for Volkers D-AOC Virtual rack !!

With flash is better colour but has the "Flash" in the front ....

109542785.jpg

109542794.jpg

VU Bulbs are 12v connected in series, ( 24.2v rail ) but run quite hot ! .... ouch !

No Gut shot, there's a couple up anyway but it's not a "work of art" inside !!

Works great now and sounds GORGEOUS !

MM.

Thanks Bernd  :)

Finally got it done .... like a year after everyone else !!

One of the bloody bulbs just burnt out :-(
Ordered some 24v 3watt ones from Canford along with some more meters for the Dual LA2a ...

How's it going my "Fellow synth genius" ????

MM.

Hi Martin,
everything is fine here. ATM I´m quite busy with my new (old) house. Lots of trouble with the craftsmen, especially the electricians. As soon as they see some water drops, they cry: moisture, alert. If they knew what we do here ... Enjoy you DAOC. The dual LA2A is a killer compressor, you´ll like it. I haven´t touched my synths for a few days now. I´ve already got withdrawal symptoms  ;D
regards
Bernd

Two words I will not soon forget: Cable Capacitance.

I replaced the input and output pots with trimmers mounted on the board and the frequency response is now flat to 20k. I was planning on making this a one knob compressor anyway. I am building four channel units so I have the boards mounted with the PS section towards the rear of the case. I probably have a longer run than most to the front panel.

glad that you sorted it Paul :)

My runs are only a few inches to the front and I had to carefully run the power cables from
the mid front away from them as I had some hum.

It's now as quiet as a mouse !

MM.

Gold said:
Two words I will not soon forget: Cable Capacitance.

I replaced the input and output pots with trimmers mounted on the board and the frequency response is now flat to 20k. I was planning on making this a one knob compressor anyway. I am building four channel units so I have the boards mounted with the PS section towards the rear of the case. I probably have a longer run than most to the front panel.
:) great you solved the problem
but  ???  what cables did you use ???

[silent:arts] said:
but  ???  what cables did you use ???

Mogami W2944 console cable. About 12". I made both channels the same length. Shield to ground. Would hookup wire work better? The left side needed to be that long. I am making 4 channel units. One PCB is mounted on the right side of the case with the PS at the back and the other board is mounted on the left side of the case in the same way. The longer run to the front panel is a little over 12". No way around it.

There is no power switch. Only the fused inlet.

hi there! i bought a nearly finished d-aoc from sinestaraudio with a
14v/2a-270v/0,08A transformer.
can someone confirm that this transformer will not kill the comp=?
i build it up and its running perfect. i used edcor 10k/600 and 600/10k and it sounds really good!!

thanks!

Transformer should be 250v @ 0.1a / 9v @ 2.5a and a third rail for lamps / bypass if needed.
You will need to drop both your 270 and 14 quite a bit ( 14v will become the 6.3 for heaters board expects 9v )

It's not quite right for the job.

MM.

king-rb said:
hi there! i bought a nearly finished d-aoc from sinestaraudio with a
14v/2a-270v/0,08A transformer.
can someone confirm that this transformer will not kill the comp=?
Your transformer will work with the D-AOC. You really need 1,8A for the heaters and about 0,06A for the HT. So your transformer hasn't got the amount of power that Volker and Analag like (they like oversized transformers), but it will work.
But as Marty said, be carefull of overheating components... If there's some, you'll have to reduce the ACs like he did.
It won't kill the comp.

king-rb said:
perfect thy.. ho marty reduced the acs=?

The secondary of my traffo was kicking out 300v AC instead of 250v ( due to high UK mains of 249v )
So a bit of "Ohms law" gave me a 1k resistor to drop 50v , between traffo secondary and the board, rated @ approx
25W  ... a 50W would be cooler but larger, it gets about as hot as a cup of coffee so not too bad.
It bolts to the case and is about 4cm long and 2 cm around.

You need to do something similar at your 14v tap also, though this is rated at 2 amps and you need to drop it
to 9v .... you'll need a large wirewound resistor ( like the one I used made of metal ) definately 50W or more !!
About a 2k2 to 2k5 should work of the top of my head ......
MM.

ah okay... i see but then its better to buy the right transformer wich only costs about 30,-€ hehe.. thank you all!!

Latest posts

Back