D-AOC PCBs - the building and help Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

I'll be building DAOC  and  was thinking of  switchable vactrols, (Also I'll go for a full wave rect. as in Kubi advanced version rather than having leds in parallel & anti parallel). Idea is to have VTL5C4/2  and VTL5C3/2  which is much faster, switchable from the front panel. Now I'm not sure is it ok to keep resistor side in parallel of all  vactrols (4vactrols in total in parallel) at all times hard wired, and to switch only the led part(s), or shall i switch between vactrol "sets", both, the resistor and the led part. Hope this sounds clear.

Thank you

interesting question :)
there is the 3rd option of only switching the resistor side ...

however, I think switching only one side will affect the threshold point.
could be good, could be bad, depending on your needs  :eek:

I remeber from the Kubi's thread (now missing) that having two optocuplers in anti parallel with one being switched off (basic DAOC opto. config, resistor side) is no problem, but i'm not sure what is going to happen when having 4 in parallel at all times with one "set" switched off.
I dont mind if  I have to readjust the threshold when switching from one type of
vactrols to another.

yes, but mine main concern is OFF RESISTANCE. For everything else VTL5C3/2 just have same/similar/ "more range" values. I might be wrong tho. It was used
as opto element in L2 builds, so I hope i'm not missing it all together ;D

and,  hey, you did excellent job on the PCB, both electro. and  visual. quietest tube piece that I've made.thank you very much.

Need to post my  NYD edition daoc. I posted the front panel which didn't make the grade on page one :(  It may be ugly but she is all mine. I have it up and running. Much to my surprise It started working the first time I ran audio which is rare when I DIY. This was before I adjusted the heaters to the 6.3 spec.  However before the adjustment it did some dodgy things it no longer is doing. I still need to wire up the link switch and do the bypass on each channel. but man this thing sounds really good.

I would like to thank the academy, my manager,.....

No seriously I wanna thank analag  and silent arts for the project.  and a shout to miko for his hand in me having  this project

once I have those switches in I will post the insides.

Matthew Jacobs said:
I've decided to go with Sowter 4383 transformers on the input and outputs. First time I'm gonna use Sowter.... We'll how it goes....

J

My Sowters arrived yesterday. I am all set and ready to get this baby up a running before the weekend.

I am using the 4383 (mic/line - input/output - 600/10K)
http://www.sowter.co.uk/specs/4383.htm

Can anyone tell me what the black lead does? And how should I hook it up? To earth?

Picture1-1.png

Thanks for your time.

J

[silent:arts] said:
pucho812 said:
Need to post my  NYD edition daoc. I posted the front panel which didn't make the grade on page one :(  
fixed ;D ;D ;D
with some more photos incl. the insight you will get your own banner :D

I got some photos I will upload them when I get home. My own banner awesome.  If I am ever in Germany Will have to get you a beer or 4 and a signed photo of David Hasselhoff.

mathew I would skip the black should work just fine.  but black would connect to ground or that's how it looks on any jensen transformer schematic.

edit: attached is a photo. I did not put in the bypass boards as they went into another project but I did do a hardwired bypass.

Attachments

• daoc.jpg
    daoc.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 135
WOW, what a beauty !!!

please some more pics ;D
one flat from the front to put it in the rack at page 1,
some more shots for doing your banner ;D ;D ;D ;D

(and shorten that long PSU Xformer screw, it is dangerous if it touches the top of the case ...)

Back