D-AOC PCBs - the building and help Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zayance said:
Where did you get the illuminated power switch!!!

http://fr.farnell.com/marquardt/1555-3102/rocker-switch-red-dp-150/dp/1831119

I bought the same rotary switches, can you point me in the right direction to getting some info on the angle of each position, Im having a hard time locating that. Im working on my front panel design and im thinking about having the spacings engraved instead of silk screen.

So I fugured out how to get the scales all right. I uploaded a png file anyone  can use if you are using the uraltone [cina/ebay] type rotary switches. You can import this into corel or convert it to hpgl. If anyone needs the hpgl send me a PM

http://uraltone.com/kauppa/product_info.php?info=p1077_Kiertokytkin--2x24.html&XTCsid=q12mt2gmc2p67fa04ooapa14n5

Attachments

• scale_rotary.png
    scale_rotary.png
    29 KB · Views: 36
That looks like a better scale for a pot than a switch...with all the subdivisions. For a switch I think I'd want a 23-position numbered scale with no excess marks. Maybe odd numbers only?

The ticks are 15 degrees apart.

Here's a discussion: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=28454.0

bobine said:
That looks like a better scale for a pot than a switch...with all the subdivisions. For a switch I think I'd want a 23-position numbered scale with no excess marks. Maybe odd numbers only?

The ticks are 15 degrees apart.

Here's a discussion: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=28454.0

Right, I for design  purposes like it like this... I didnt add any  numbers because some people can scale it how ever they may like, in corel you can take out any extra lines you may not need. The spacings are exactly 15degrees apart. Just tested it today. Its a starting point to anyone.

I numbered mine in my design, only at the 6-12-18 markings. I dont like a cluttered scale. I also left all the in between points just because it looks good on my design.

Finally got to really sit down and try and diagnose my issues. As it stands this is what my unit is doing

1. Acts as a limiter, sort of... at 0db compression there is a 1-2db gain reduction at full "input" and full "output"
2. At 0 compression, there is a permanent difference of about -.5 to -1db from the right channel to the left.
3. In link mode the channels are with in -1db matched, but in mono mode the difference is much larger, upto 6db in some settings.
4. The right channel starts to compress at about the 13 setting on the 23 position switch. The Left channel behaves normal with compression beginning at about the 9th position.

I checked all my voltages and they are correct, I checked the step switches and their values are with in 1% checked all my wiring. I also read all the 55 pages here and only a few times where my issues mentioned but never any solutions posted.

I was thinking to solve the issue of -1db while in 0 compression, to put a small trim pot on the output dial and trim off untill the channels are closely matched... any comments on this?

thanks In advanced for any suggestions...

You matched all resistors on the PCB?

Could it be unmatched tubes? Did you try swapping them (left/right)?

If you can't fix it -- one instant solution: run only MS signals through it.

Did you end up using Telefunken? How do they sound?

jsefer said:
Finally got to really sit down and try and diagnose my issues. As it stands this is what my unit is doing

1. Acts as a limiter, sort of... at 0db compression there is a 1-2db gain reduction at full "input" and full "output"
2. At 0 compression, there is a permanent difference of about -.5 to -1db from the right channel to the left.
3. In link mode the channels are with in -1db matched, but in mono mode the difference is much larger, upto 6db in some settings.
4. The right channel starts to compress at about the 13 setting on the 23 position switch. The Left channel behaves normal with compression beginning at about the 9th position.

I checked all my voltages and they are correct, I checked the step switches and their values are with in 1% checked all my wiring. I also read all the 55 pages here and only a few times where my issues mentioned but never any solutions posted.

I was thinking to solve the issue of -1db while in 0 compression, to put a small trim pot on the output dial and trim off untill the channels are closely matched... any comments on this?

jsefer!!
I am in the same situation
great sound, but;
without compression, the two channels are out of 0.2 db (I'm happy to analog)
in mono mode, up to 5 dB (compression) = 0.5 db out
in mono mode, up to 10 dB (compression) = 2 db out
in stereo mode, all off.
Vactrol, are always
off (From what I read ............)
HELP!

My birthday coming and my wife decided that i deserve an D-OAC. ;D
Now i see that i have a Hammond PT box type...thats spits 250-0-250 and 6.3VCT.
Is this a good use to have it used here?
Thanks.

Well, all D-AOCs PSUs are regulated.

6.3V can't be regulated to 6.3V, we need some 9V before the regulator.
you could use AC heaters, but this is not tested.
225-0V could work for the high voltage part, but you waste the 0-225V winding.

sorry
has anyone tried Perkin Elmer Vactrol to solve problems in stereo?
I read that have better features than the other .... vactrol
thanks

ilfungo said:
sorry
has anyone tried Perkin Elmer Vactrol to solve problems in stereo?
I read that have better features than the other .... vactrol
thanks

Sounds interesting! Apparently they ever have different versions with different attack and release times...
Try 'em and let us know!  ;D

Hi All
I made the mod on the vactrols ,
Anyone can explain me the calibration procedure of the unit ??
Thank you all in advance
Fabio

ilfungo said:
hello Soeren_DK
I solved using the trimmer 500R on the vactrol + ....
I have another problem ....
when I'm more than half of the input pot  hear saturation ...
can be a power problem?
thanks

ilfungo said:
jsefer said:

jsefer!!
I am in the same situation
great sound, but;
without compression, the two channels are out of 0.2 db (I'm happy to analog)
in mono mode, up to 5 dB (compression) = 0.5 db out
in mono mode, up to 10 dB (compression) = 2 db out
in stereo mode, all off.
Vactrol, are always
off (From what I read ............)
HELP!

Hey guys!!! I found a solutio to matching the sections... this is what I PERSONALY DID.... I used the vactrol matching procedure with the trimmers on the vactrols, to match the uncompressed signal, then I compressed it a little bit and I adjusted. I wanted to find a good medium point.

to match the left and right channels, I added a trimmer to one channel on the output pot level, to trim down the desired DBs to match the sections, now my unit is matched +- .02db

Thanks silent:arts for a very good overview in the first post!
Are pcb's still for sale? (Couldn't find it listed)

Latest posts

Back