Smoke on the water - Ancient Japanese style

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="SSLtech"]Um.... They're not Japanese, I don't think.

Chinese, perhaps.

Keith[/quote]

they are really Japanese so says Yoshi one of my Japanese co-workers

The instruments and orchestra are definitely Japanese. The Chinese bagged spackle-knife picks like, a millennia ago during the Leunng-hair dynasty.

And isn't there supposed to be some Kodo drum in 'Smoke. . . ?
Mike

PS: welcome back Ceej. Youll wanna put some erntment back there. . .

Just to answer that Cj , Richie is not even a footnote of modern
gtr , just a decent performer riding a singers coat tails
fwiw val sez Ed is a good dad

Greg, we think alike, letrs start a band,
CXAN YOU HANDLE A CORAL BLUE STRAT WITH A CAPO FOR bACHMAN tURNER oVERDRIVE ytOU aINT DEEN NUTHIN YET

i LOVE THE GUESS WGHO

[quote author="CJ"]Pucho, 99 out of 100 every time you post and keef corrects, keef wins, he is beter than mike mcdonald on a yamaha, more games than manchester, but i digress...
Keef is always right.
Believe me.
[/quote]

So I'm due to win one. :green:

I'll give the win to Pucho! (-make a note of the date, Watson!)

But Richie is more than a coat-tail-rider, fo' sho... I'm longtime friends with Mr. Gillan also, and the current string-twanger for the Purple-boys owns a couple of tail-draggers of his own.

-Now, -back to the video...

Did those guys just come from stripping wallpaper, or what???

:green:

Keef

darren is correct. also, the stringed instrument is the traditional japanese shamisen which uses a wooden plectrum as a pick (based on the okinawan sanshin which uses a water buffalo nail/claw for a plectrum which is more akward to play and comes from an even earlier chinese instrument). so pucho has won this time (sorry keef). :twisted:

well played pucho! (i hope you can increase that 99% inaccuracy in time).

though, i'm wondering why they even went with singing it - in japanese no less with kabuki stylings. my ability to translate is really terrible, but i could follow some of the japanese lyrics on the screen). oh those cooky nihonjin.

-grant

That's what made me think that it might not be Japanese...

I saw the Japanese subtitles and assumed that it was translated.

This was over on ProSoundWeb a month or two ago, and I posted exactly that, so in this instance I was wrong long before Pucho was ever right! :wink:

Keef

[quote author="SSLtech"]so in this instance I was wrong long before Pucho was ever right! :wink:

Keef[/quote]

I think hell has frozen over or the world is comming to an end

[quote author="SSLtech"]That's what made me think that it might not be Japanese...

I saw the Japanese subtitles and assumed that it was translated.

Keef[/quote]

you know, i should have thought of that - which makes complete sense to everyone but the japanese :green:
i think i'm just accustomed to seeing japanese television shows having grown up with them. for some reason the japanese just like to have the lyrics and even sound effects translations on screen - mostly for added 'campy-ness'.
but mostly for the karaoke-ness of it all (when in a musical context).

that video still seems strange to me...then again i'm floating on some meds right now due to the flu.

so according to uncle CJ, keef will be 100% correct for the rest of the year and pucho will be 100% wrong for the remainder of the year. :shock: :grin:

-grant

What you mean Keef ? Steve Morse is at the least above average
, but i'd say exceptional [ anyone who can survive the biz that long
, along With Ian ] I think Cj was talking about the richie with BumJoval
, the other ritchie , although a C**t , was talented & unique , just Baroque
now .

Ah yes... I thought he meant Blackmore and not Sambora...

The 'Tail-Draggers' to which I'm referring are 'tail-dragger' aircraft... Steve owns several small airplanes, and lives on a runway community in Ocala. (As does Travolta, btw... except Travolta has a Qantas 707 and Steve has -amongst other things- a russian fighter-trainer jet).

I've had Steve fly down to meet me with a couple of Lexicons for repair. -I live about 9 miles from the local airport, and he made it there before I could drive there from my house!!! :shock:

No... I WASN'T ragging on Steve!

Keef

Tail dragging , how clever !

I remember stories of him [ a colum by him ]
talking about practicing while he drove the hour commute to his
commercial pilot gig

The guy's a genius.

As an engineer, I always knew muscians who HAD to have an instrument in their hands at all times, and tended to 'twiddle' on it even when the talkback was pressed, to the point of irritating people. Most of what these people play is repetitive and boring, and they tend to only stop when they are the ones doing the talking... or when they are trying to work something out in their heads.

Not Steve.

He can play the most intricate figures and pieces all the while that he's talking to you, explaining how the effective center of lift over a wing chord shifts with changes in air pressure, changes in aircraft velocity and how that plays into trim settings...

...Now if I could only ever get him to stop when I had the talkback pressed between Ian's takes... :roll:

:wink:

[quote author="pucho812"] I think hell has frozen over or the world is comming to an end[/quote]
funny-pictures-hell-freezes-over-14l.jpg

Keith

Latest posts

Back