Can i ask a really stupid question please?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lofi

MCFE is only for 230V mains voltage as in EU
MCTA is for 115V /with both primary windings wired parallel OR 230 with windings wired in series.
No it is not intended for step- up use, however it could be used as step down i.e. wired for 230V and used on 115V, this will give you 2x12.5V on secondaries. This is band-aid solution and should be avoided.
Also efficiency will go down. You won't be able to draw full power on secondary side (50VA) at lower voltage because that would require twice as high secondary current from the windings. The wire in the winding are dimensioned for nominal current current draw with a ca 30% safety margin. Doubling current draw may cause over heating and eventually short or open circuit failure.
Transformer efficiency (power transfer ratio) is highest at rated power draw on secondary side.

thanks!!! i just worked out that the step/up bit was wrong wording. i am only looking for UK use so the 230V version is fine. i had sort of assumed that but im also prone to stupidity at times :grin:

just been reading this, nice way to avoid the chores of mothers day

Thanks for the confirmation!!!

Iain

Back