Shiny box Ribbon mics to the rescue

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Was a session player for a recording over the weekend. It was at a private/home studio that was lacking in the mic department. There were few mics but not many. After some discussion ahead of time with the producer engineer about drum tones, I suggest that I bring some mics down to get the best drum tones possible. He thought it was a good idea.

The end result was amazing drum tones.
We used 2 Shinybox 23L mics as over heads in a Blumlein setup. We also used a shiny box 46C on the hi-hat. We had a re-20 for the floor tom and ATM 25 for the rack toms. Had a a beta 52 on the kick. On the snare we had a 414 top and a 451 bottom. The producer/engineer was blown away by the sound of the overheads. Yay for Shinybox :thumb:

[quote author="pucho812"]We used 2 Shinybox 23L mics as over heads in a blumline setup.[/quote]
[SHUDDER]

Blumlein. Not "Blumline"...

..Which tells me that you may be mispronouncing it, too.

(It's correctly pronounced "Blum-Lin", by the way)

Alan Dower Blumlein.

Keith

"Hobson, do you know what I'm going to do?"

"No... -I don't."

"I'm going to take a bath."

"...Would you like me to come and wash your d*ck for you, you little sh*t?"

Keith

I'm reading Camenzind's excellent book on analog design during sunbaths of late. I was a bit disappointed that he fails to mention Blumlein when he discusses the differential pair* (or as they used to call it, "long-tailed pair").

An amazingly prolific inventor. No telling what he'd have done had he lived longer.

*when slicing fruit a friend of mine used to refer to differential pears.

[quote author="bcarso"]I'm reading Camenzind's excellent book on analog design during sunbaths of late. I was a bit disappointed that he fails to mention Blumlein when he discusses the differential pair* (or as they used to call it, "long-tailed pair").

An amazingly prolific inventor. No telling what he'd have done had he lived longer.

*when slicing fruit a friend of mine used to refer to differential pears.[/quote]

+1

I met Hans back in '70s in connection with a project using his metalization only semi custom ICs.

Clever guy.

JR

[quote author="SSLtech"]
Alan Dower Blumlein.[/quote]

Oh, right!

I always assumed it was german and had something to do with flower(blume) since the polarpatterns makes one.

Puch,

How high above the kit were the ribbons and also, were they more over the snare and floor or over the rack toms and cymbols?

I wanna try this with my modded APEX 205s and would like a starting point.
Right now I use an NT4 X/Y and it's ok.

just saw this question. The mics were in the center of the kit. Right where the bass drum and 2nd rack tom are. However my rack toms are off to one side. Think of a 4 piece kit and right where the rack and kick meet. They were midium high up between the ceiling and floor. I should have taken pictures but didn't time.

[quote author="SSLtech"]
(It's correctly pronounced "Blum-Lin", by the way)

Alan Dower Blumlein.
[/quote]

Wow, that's quite shocking. I thought it was "Blume-line" as the name must have originated in German somewhere down the family tree. "Blümlein" is little flower in German. Which is why most Germans pronounce his name (or the associated stereo techniques) "Blümlein". I bet a lot of Germans think Blumlein actually was a German dude.

I was also quite shocked to learn that Robert Moog's name is actually pronounced "Moe-g".

I've got the biography somewhere---I'll see if I can explicate the transition in pronunciation. I always have pronounced it as if it were German, although I knew he was a Brit. I'll defer to Keith though. It's not hard to see it as one of those especially British changes, like what happens to French words when they are adopted. American English often stops short of that level of modification.

For example, for valet we say val-Ay, and Brits Val-ett.

I once saw a very nasty, but good sounding trick with an old battered Reslo (UK) ribbon mic.

They stuck it in front of the kick drum to get an extra 'snap' from the ribbon pulling tight on the kick beats. Horrible abuse, but it did sound good.

Latest posts

Back