EMI Tape Recorder & guts Any info on these old things pl

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

got whole EMI tape recorder plus electronics of another similar EMI unit...sadly no model numbers i can see..would love to find a schematic they in quite bad way seems to be 2 nice audio transformers on one & 1 on the other unit plus EF86 tubes & more.

Thanks

Hmmm....The transport looks like a TR series,or poss an RE301 military version.however the front panel looks like very early Ferograph.where do the electronics in the first pic fit. I think you may have a bit of a mix here ! Andy.

Hiya the electronics in first pic are seperate but would fit where the knobs meter electronics are on the 2nd pic slightly different features I have 2 PSU units too

thanks for your help

Hmmm ...what to do with these old EMI guts

Am I right in saying that these things electronics wouldnt be that great if they were used as say a mic pre....
I read that the Amphex 301 pre not that good so would a thought these would be even worse as Im thinking these were just consumer type units only I dont want to rip them apart for spares only to find out later they could bin useful as is

I'm sure that you could use those nice metal fronts/chassis to make either
a vari-mu comp or perhaps a valve pre / small single ended guitar amp.
As for getting them "back" to what they were ..... !!!

MM.

Yeah dont think there mic pre circuits would sound as good as the usual BA redd v72 circuits so could use bits for those, yeah I like the panels would make Altec 438A tho ...one EMI has 600 Ohm out put socket...followed it back to a U pad 4x 150 ohm & a transformer.... tried it very quickly connected to a redd diy pre I have & sounds as good as my Sowter I usually use for redd

I have a mystery part its cylindrical same size weight its as say mic transformer only 2 connections with little drawing of a coil on it .....maybe a inductor oh & it plugs into a socket

Many thanks

Back